Hiring tips in the industry

Started by gnubler, March 12, 2015, 09:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Boy are you out of the loop. Sculpin is good, but Grapefruit Sculpin is better... as are about 40 other IPAs. Give me your address; I'll send you some.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Fontaholic

If somebody asked me what kind of beer I drink, I'd reply, "None.  I don't drink out of personal choice.  But the older I get and the longer I stay in this business, I completely understand why so many people do..." :tongue: 

Cheers, John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Quote from: david on March 17, 2015, 10:06:47 AMwe drink to forget...

what?
That's better than forgetting to drink. :drunk3:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

We finally hired someone. I was still getting several resumes a week, most of which were as I described in my original post. Some here may not believe it, but the winning resume actually had a typo and a weird line break. Based on the applicant's cover letter, I decided to overlook the errors just this once because her skills & background were such a good fit for the company. Most of the replies I got included absolutely nothing in the email, or just something like "resume attached. thanks." with a Word doc.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DCurry

It is your duty to inform that new hire of the mistakes in her resume. If she is aghast, then she is probably a good hire. If she shrugs it off, that's the type of employee she'll be.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!