Amazon's new Fire TV box

Started by Joe, April 02, 2014, 10:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: david on January 19, 2015, 03:57:52 PMI don't have a library, I just want to watch anything free on the tv.
I think I'm cheaper than you Joe, if it ain't free, it ain't worth watchin'.  LOL
Currently using my homemade antenna to get all the local tv channels (free over the airwaves). Just recently got a HDMI cable and tried the Hulu Plus trial. That works great over my slow ass DSL, just wondering what other "cheap" options are out there.
I've read through the other threads previously, really don't have the time, energy or money to do anything like what you describe, and neither of us (me and the wifey) watch that many movies. My life is boring.

The Roku has some free stuff like Crackle movies. Not new stuff but not horrible old. And there is some other stuff as well but it will be a challenge to keep up with current TV shows for free with not much work. If you can get a Roku 3 for $80 I think it would be worth it. For $9 bucks a month you can see a lot of recent TV with Hulu Plus but they don't have the movie selection that Netflix does.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I have:
Smart TV w/wireless (streams all the major services)
Fire stick (all the majors)
Roku2 (same)
Xbox 360 (streams some shit)
Wii (think it has netflix)
PS3 (might stream something, never tried)
Laptop plugged in via HDMI

Laptop is the best, if a bit getto and Roku (when it's acting correctly) or fire stick are about even and the rest aren't used all that often.

I have a HTPC that I still have to build but that's only because the laptop is TV upstairs. I know first world problems when bringing down a laptop is an issue. Really, a computer hooked up to the TV is really the best way to go if you want to play everything. If VLC can't play it, it's not worth watching. Roku will play some things off a flashdrive but it's hit and miss encoding wise. That and if the file name is longer than 12 characters or so, good luck figuring out what episode it is.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Good point on the encoding method used. It does make a difference.

Farabomb

Yeah, a lot of times I'll have video and no audio. Seems to be the same encoding but since I'm not the one doing the encoding I can't tell for sure.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yep. The only sure way is to fire up HandBrake and do it yourself.

DigiCorn

...or DVDFab

and use Plex and share libraries.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway