News:

Main Menu

Guide to Prepress

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, January 20, 2012, 03:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 05:20:22 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 05:15:02 PM
Quote from: gnubler on January 20, 2012, 05:13:39 PMDCS, you care too much.

I stopped writing guides like that about 7 years ago. Nobody else cares so why should I?

Is it worth it?

Doesn't matter. I have been given a task, I will complete it. Management can decide what to do with it when I'm done. I get paid by the hour. :laugh:

You should insist on getting paid by the word on that project!

Eh, what the hell. I don't mind doing it.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: Earendil on January 20, 2012, 05:17:37 PMYou wrote a guide?  :laugh:

Yes. I used to write novellas to customers to "help" them with their crap files.

Now I'm like Joe..."just send us a good PDF".

Good being the key word there, the one that is usually ignored. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 05:21:31 PM

I stopped writing guides like that about 7 years ago. Nobody else cares so why should I?

Is it worth it?

Doesn't matter. I have been given a task, I will complete it. Management can decide what to do with it when I'm done. I get paid by the hour. :laugh:

I know. And when I start my own empire printing company you will be the first guy I hire.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 05:21:31 PM

Is it worth it?

I know. And when I start my own empire printing company you will be the first guy I hire.

Hahahaha, aww shucks... thanks, Joe.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Will you take me on to serve drinks?

(I'll work for beer, also)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Cool. DCS will work for smokes. Gnubler for beer. I'll make a killin'...

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 06:09:12 PMCool. DCS will work for smokes. Gnubler for beer. I'll make a killin'...

WE WILL make a killing. :evil:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 06:11:08 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 06:09:12 PMCool. DCS will work for smokes. Gnubler for beer. I'll make a killin'...

Get back in your room! I'll drop a pack of smokes in the air duct after you preflight this 900 page Publisher file.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 06:15:05 PM

Get back in your room! I'll drop a pack of smokes in the air duct after you preflight this 900 page Publisher file.

Yes, massah. Couldn't get me a PDF, could you? I can see you're going to be quite the Taskmaster... I don't have a problem with that. :whip:
Member #285 - Civilian

Skryber

Nice job! Call it " Jason's Pocket Pal" or "Prepress for Dumbasses".
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Skryber on January 20, 2012, 06:35:51 PMNice job! Call it " Jason's Pocket Pal" or "Prepress for Dumbasses".

You remind me, I will also need to do a short section on digital printing. To cover it all.

I already have a "pocket pal". It's called a Benchmade model 42 Balisong butterfly knife. My bestest friend.
Member #285 - Civilian

Skryber

Mine's called Craftsman 80th Year Anniversary box cutter. I get drunk and think I lost it in the bar and cry about it until I get home and see it on the bathroom counter. :drunk3:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 06:31:14 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 06:15:05 PM

Yes, massah. Couldn't get me a PDF, could you? I can see you're going to be quite the Taskmaster... I don't have a problem with that. :whip:

Well, you told me you preferred natives. You got natives! :tongue:

Syphon

Great work DCS, but here is my input:

1.  You need to change "Listed below are some of the more common extensions we in Prepress encounter." to "Listed below are some of the more common extensions Prepress encounters."
It's just too many words. Fewer words and easier to read, plus your clients might actually read it if it's short and to the point.

2.  You might want to just create a "What Prepress Needs" guide that is just straight forward "include InDesign file packaged with Fonts and Links" and a simple how to. I did a one page instruction PDF of how to "Package" in InDesign and one for QuarkXPress with screenshots. Clients might respond better with pictures included.

3.  Clients' attitudes are "I don't have the time to read this" or "I'm paying you idiots to fix it and just make me (the client) look good", so just do it! On top of that, all of this is just seems to be over their heads or they just want to do things their way and screw you. We have a client who refuse to include bleed on her full ads (all made in Photoshop). We gave up years ago after giving instructions and showing how to and to this day, she insist on doing her way and to this day we have to spend a couple of hours adding bleed to the Photoshop files.

But, you might have a few clients that would want to learn and will appreciate the detailed explanations, so you might have to create to guides: one for those that want to know and one for those who are complete bullshit idiots.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Tracy

Quote from: t-pat on January 20, 2012, 05:16:51 PM
Quote from: Earendil on January 20, 2012, 05:12:11 PMMe too. Envelopes suck. We have a stupid little Jet Press (actually a little offset duplicator specifically for envelopes) and we also print flat and send out for conversion. When printed flat, I have to download the conversion sheet and get the stupid little dots on the press sheet, position, etc...

I hate everything about doing envelopes. They take four times as long as anything twice their size. Also have to image a 4 out plate and cut down for the little env press, which means getting exact stupid position for the 1000 stupid sizes of of numbers and baronial and monarch and what the hell ever crap size of envelope people think they want to make them feel unique. Did I mention I hate envelopes? /rant

lol I do them in my sleep now - I even *like* commercial envelopes (diagonal side seam) like this beauty. Not one whole number in any of the angles.
dang! how big is that press sheet? that is a #10 right?
was it a hand drawn template like I get? :laugh: