Backing up to DVD OS 10.7.5

Started by Nivin, November 25, 2014, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

BTW, Niven, I apologize for referring to you as a "him". Joe was gracious enough to correct me on that matter. :lmao:

See? Old people still have uses.
Member #285 - Civilian

Nivin

No worries. I could have corrected you myself. You can call me Linda.   :hello:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Nivin on November 26, 2014, 08:49:48 AMNo worries. I could have corrected you myself. You can call me Linda.  :hello:

You can call me whatever you want. :lmao:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

OK, I'm trying to make that work. I create an alias to a file. Copy the alias to my external drive. It does NOT copy the original. I delete the alias it does not delete the original. I burn the alias to a DVD is does NOT copy the original.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Nivin

Try it using the "Burn" folder. Seems to make a difference.

Nivin

And we're hoping we don't need to copy to the hard drive first. Just into the Burn folder.

Nivin

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate the info everyone supplied.   :)

Joe

Quote from: Nivin on November 26, 2014, 12:36:15 PMAnd we're hoping we don't need to copy to the hard drive first. Just into the Burn folder.

Okay. I just tried this. See attached image. On the far right are two aliases pointing to two zip files shown in the middle Finder window. I burned those two aliases to a CD shown in the far left Finder window where it only burned the aliases and not the original files. I've tried everything I can think of to make it burn both but the only way I can make that work is to actually drag both the aliases and the originals to the burn folder. Nothing I attempt to make OS X copy or burn the originals just by copying or burning the aliases work. Only the aliases copy or burn.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.