Android tablet preference

Started by Joe, November 27, 2012, 09:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: delooch on December 10, 2012, 11:19:22 AMyeah, theres a  bunch of those apps, but you gotta keep a local networked pc up and running to use them. id like to eliminate the PC from the loop.

This one says it will do just that.

Printer Share
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

Quote from: Joe on December 10, 2012, 11:26:45 AM
Quote from: delooch on December 10, 2012, 11:19:22 AMyeah, theres a  bunch of those apps, but you gotta keep a local networked pc up and running to use them. id like to eliminate the PC from the loop.

This one says it will do just that.

Printer Share

it doesnt seem to be able to print to a networked pc printer unless its a windows share though..

Looks like i may may have to ditch the networked printer (it just plugs into the net hub) and get one that supports WiFi/bluetooth, and my headache may be gone.

JCPenfold

That's what I had to do, we don't have a desktop in the house, just laptops, tablets & smartphones. I have an HP that is airprint enabled, (I had to google it but apparently that is iOS only) is there an android equivalent?

delooch

just saw a refurb Galaxy Tab 10.1 on walmart.com, $249 plus, $33 will get you a 2-year replacement warranty.

those are some NICE Tablets,  im itching to buy one, but already picked up a nexus 7. thinking i should buy and deal with the wife later.

Joe

Quote from: delooch on December 11, 2012, 05:16:38 PMjust saw a refurb Galaxy Tab 10.1 on walmart.com, $249 plus, $33 will get you a 2-year replacement warranty.

those are some NICE Tablets,  im itching to buy one, but already picked up a nexus 7. thinking i should buy and deal with the wife later.

I have learned if you think about it more than an hour it will probably be gone. But no pressure. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

i know. i already dropped the ball on some of the kid's presents this year with hesitation. spoiled fu%erS.

Farabomb

I played with the galaxy 10.1 and I hated the file transfer. It wasn't like my 2 android phones where it's drag and drop. You have to use some shite called kies or something and it always wanted to transcode and it took forever. I'm sure there is a way around it but I'd like it to work out of the box like that. Hopefully the Nexus 7 will and hopefully I will find out on xmas...

Or the woman will have to paddle her new kayak real damn fast becasue of the hole I'll put in it.  :wink:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: delooch on December 11, 2012, 05:16:38 PMjust saw a refurb Galaxy Tab 10.1 on walmart.com, $249 plus, $33 will get you a 2-year replacement warranty.

you asked before about multi-user. yes - it has it; I'm not using it. It's mine. My precious.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 12, 2012, 09:55:48 AM

you asked before about multi-user. yes - it has it; I'm not using it. It's mine. My precious.

i read up on multi-user some more. nice options.  the nexus is for the kids so they dont break mine or the wife's cells.. i want to be able to lock them out of certain apps.. kids LOVE the touchscreens. the nexus is still cheaper than replacing my cell, id buy a cheaper one, but the boy is a whiz and would outgrow any of those cheaper or  "kids" tablets in a day...

i was going to jump on that galaxy tab 10.1 for myself.  the wife said i shouldnt, in the manner that she already has something on deck. i hope she did her homework.

delooch

Quote from: Farabomb on December 12, 2012, 08:50:32 AMI played with the galaxy 10.1 and I hated the file transfer. It wasn't like my 2 android phones where it's drag and drop. You have to use some shite called kies or something and it always wanted to transcode and it took forever. I'm sure there is a way around it but I'd like it to work out of the box like that. Hopefully the Nexus 7 will and hopefully I will find out on xmas...

Or the woman will have to paddle her new kayak real damn fast becasue of the hole I'll put in it.  :wink:

my galaxy cellphones handle file transfer pretty easy, just like a thumbdrive. i cant imagine why they would switch it up on the tablets.

Kies isnt that bad, there is a wi-fi version that you dont have to plug in to transfer. still cumbersome and slow though. browsing the native file tree via usb is the way to go.  the only thing i HATE is the android OS creates a folder for anything & everything youve ever done/seen - even after the apps are gone.  directory structure is a damn mess, not sure what is safe to delete.

Farabomb

I feel you with the directory structure. Sometimes I'll just do a nandroid and blow everything out and start again. I'll just restore what I use. With 96 gigs of storage on the S3 I'm less worried about space than with my droid charge

On the S3 they went from mass storage to some media mount thing and the Mac and my car stereo hates it. I end up either taking out the sd card and loading stuff or using my USB OTG cable to move stuff.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: t-pat on December 07, 2012, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: gnubler on December 07, 2012, 02:42:45 PMThat's why I never tell people I work with computers & graphics. It never works out well.

you think that's bad, don't ever make the mistake of telling someone you know plumbing

Ohhhhhhh, really??  :homer:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.