Netflix video is "too" sharp

Started by Slappy, January 19, 2015, 04:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I find this really weird:

Got a Roku stick for Christmas and the only use I've had for it so far is Netflix. (The Tivo Premiere streams Netflix too, but getting into it is god-awful slow & the controls on the Tivo remote are equally abysmal.) I hate the way Roku pushes out video, at least on the  few shows we've watched. It's too sharp, if that makes sense. It has an odd almost daytime soap opera look, and I've set the default down to 720p on the Roku to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't.

I'm going into a Sony Bravia KDL-46VL using HDMI for the Tivo. Is the Roku doing some kind of upsampling or am iI just loopy?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Netflix looks fine on my Roku box but I don't have the stick so I'm not sure if it would make that difference or not.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I have been seeing this a lot. I don't know that it is necessarily a sharpness thing, but an attempt at a quasi 3D. First time I noticed this was on the Hobbit movies... both in theater and my blu-ray copy. Seems most things I watch on Dish have this ultra-realistic feel. Kinda cheap looking but you get used to it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

The hobbit is running a higher frame rate than normal. That's why it looks funky.

This explains it a little better.

As far as the roku looking sharper since I'm on can and string internet I'm happy to get 720p. I've never had an instance where I say "this is too sharp".

Maybe there is a setting in the TV that you can adjust to make it more to your liking. 
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Right, I did read something about the filming of The Hobbit.

I do know what Slappy is saying and it is hard to get used to. They have something that makes other movies look like The Hobbit. Might be the TV. For instance, I have an older flat-screen... it does have HD but is over 6 years old. I have my PS3 hooked up HD, and watched Guardians of the Galaxy Blu Ray. Watched the same BluRay at our vacation home, over Christmas, and it looked similar to The Hobbit, like Slappy describes. Even older movies, like Step Brothers, had this soap opera feel to them on the new TV.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Slappy

Good to know it's not just me! I'll have to watch some other stuff, all we've used the Roku for is Orange is the New Black so hopefully it's not all of the content they stream.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Ear

I bet it is a combination of their content and your TV. I say that because I noticed it on a new TV buy not an older one, same blu-ray disk.

Slappy

I thought about it being partially due to the TV model, it's an older Sony LCD that's 1080p, going to try it on another one that's newer but a Vizio to see if it's any different.

Ear

Let me know. I'm somewhat vexed by this.

Farabomb

My thought was maybe it's a 120 vs a 60 screen. Since the 60 can ghost making it look less crisp if it's a 120 it may be more noticeable.

Funny, we're talking about it being too crisp and the manufacturers are trying to sell us 4k displays.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

You can go to the Netflix site, and slow the connection speed, if that's really the issue.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

GinsTonic

Quote from: Farabomb on January 21, 2015, 12:17:09 PMMy thought was maybe it's a 120 vs a 60 screen. Since the 60 can ghost making it look less crisp if it's a 120 it may be more noticeable.

Funny, we're talking about it being too crisp and the manufacturers are trying to sell us 4k displays.

I'd agree - seems like it's the frame rate of the content or TV frequency refresh rate, but most likely the TV refresh rate. I hate how a lot of modern TVs are offering to digitally smooth out motion - great for sports, but horrid for films...

Being based in Wellington, New Zealand (and also work in video production industry), I have several mates who worked on LOTR and Hobbit films. Their heads just about exploded when Peter Jackson told them they'd be shooting in 4k, 3D AND 48 frames per second... Apparently it was a bit of a nightmare - the storage required for the job was massive.

Farabomb

I could imagine the files being massive. They did a great job on the LOTR movies but the higher framerate in The Hobbit made it look funky.

Or the fact they tried to capture lightning in a bottle again and failed. The cast and director was miserable the whole time shooting and it showed in the work.

I was watching netflix on the fire stick this weekend and I was getting skips and jumps constantly. I may have to check my settings. It was probably trying to play in 1080 and my DSL will choke on that.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Scratch

It's the TV itself with all of it's sharpness and signal processing. It IS the Soap Opera effect, since those are shot at 60fps if I'm remembering correctly. Hate that.

All that processing is ok for tv shows, but if you try to hook up as a monitor your mouse with seem like it's freaked out on bath salts.

Turn all that processing stuff off in the TV settings and it'll start to look normal again.

Slappy

Quote from: Scratch on March 02, 2015, 09:53:18 AMIt's the TV itself with all of it's sharpness and signal processing. It IS the Soap Opera effect, since those are shot at 60fps if I'm remembering correctly. Hate that.

Turn all that processing stuff off in the TV settings and it'll start to look normal again.
I thought I'd dug through all of the settings and didn't see a way to do anything with the processing, maybe it's what they call MotionFlow. I'll look some more, I've reverted to using the Tivo interface for now instead of the Roku stick.