How to replace image in PDF

Started by Daniel, July 01, 2009, 05:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi guys, I need to replace an image in a PDF document. Pls tell me how to go about it.

David

okay,
First, what version of Acrobat and what OS...
Do you want to edit an image in a PDF or just replace it with a completely different image?
Are the images the same size (physical dim)?

and, oh by the way, Welcome to the B4Print forums, pull up a chair and stay a while, someone will be around later with the appetizers and drinks.

cheers,
David
 :cool:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Dave's questions are pretty pertinent, BUT if you are running a Mac (Use PC equivalents if on a PC) and the image you are replacing have the same physical dimensions, you might try this:

Use the Touch-Up Object tool located in /Tools/Advanced Editing... Depending on your version of Acrobat, you may need to set-up your external Raster editor to be whatever version of Photoshop your flying. Once you select the image with the Control key help down, go to Edit Image... the image "should" open in Photoshop where you can manipulate it however... be sure to check your resolution. Upsample if you have to, it won't matter in the end because you are going to Paste the "new" image over the old and flatten. DO NOT do a "save as," instead just "save."

That's one way to do it, there are many more.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Another way is place the pdf in Indy, then place your new graphic over top of the old one if possible (watch your transparencies) export to pdf and presto.

hotmetal

I've done it with the DCS method and that works just fine. Is there a way to do this with Pitstop?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

gnubler

I'm also familiar with the DCS method, however it seems a majority of the time when I right click on an image with the Object selection tool nothing comes up in the contextual menu...like Acrobat doesn't see the image. I'm using Acrobat Std (not sure which version). So I usually use the JimKing method after rasterizing the whole PDF and cropping/saving just the image I need.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

mattbeals

Quote from: hotmetal on July 01, 2009, 06:20:37 PMI've done it with the DCS method and that works just fine. Is there a way to do this with Pitstop?

Yes.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

gnubler

Quote from: mattbeals on July 01, 2009, 06:57:56 PM
Quote from: hotmetal on July 01, 2009, 06:20:37 PMI've done it with the DCS method and that works just fine. Is there a way to do this with Pitstop?

Yes.

What is Pitstop? If I can't use Pitstop, can I still use the Pitstop method?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Like I said, there are several ways of doing it. The one I demonstrated above would be the most common without Pitstop. Jim Kings method works, as well as deleting any raster data in a PDF, then placing the Vector portions in InDesign, and placing the raster images back in the InDesign document.

The most destructive, and last resort, would be to completely rasterize the PDF at a high enough resolution to minimize bitmapping anomalies.

With Pitstop, there are several more options.
Member #285 - Civilian

hotmetal

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 01, 2009, 08:44:55 PMLike I said, there are several ways of doing it. The one I demonstrated above would be the most common without Pitstop. Jim Kings method works, as well as deleting any raster data in a PDF, then placing the Vector portions in InDesign, and placing the raster images back in the InDesign document.

The most destructive, and last resort, would be to completely rasterize the PDF at a high enough resolution to minimize bitmapping anomalies.

With Pitstop, there are several more options.

I feel the urge... to explore...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

Take my hand HM... we depart on the Magic Carpet in 3... 2... 1 :hemp:
Member #285 - Civilian

determined

In pitstop, there's also the place pdf method (under the edit menu)...I've only found this to work if the images are the same size....and in the dialog box you use the "grab area from selection" box....and it strangely leave the "selection" (original image) in place after placing the new one over top....  :huh:

actually, just used this today...I had an image that wouldn't open in photoshop (again with the indexed RGB thing)...so I did a crop (using the pitstop coordinates) to crop out all the rest of the page, opened the cropped pdf in photoshop, converted it and saved it to my desktop, then opened the original pdf file (full page version), selected the original image (that wouldn't open) and used the place pdf (using grab area from selection)....worked like a charm!! I did have to cut the new image and delete the old one, tho...  :undecided:
Murphy must have been in printing....

Joe

The Enfocus Replace command works too but it will scale the image non-proportionately (<---sp) you are putting in to the size of the original.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: determined on July 02, 2009, 01:49:50 PMIn pitstop, there's also the place pdf method (under the edit menu)...I've only found this to work if the images are the same size....and in the dialog box you use the "grab area from selection" box....and it strangely leave the "selection" (original image) in place after placing the new one over top....  :huh:

actually, just used this today...I had an image that wouldn't open in photoshop (again with the indexed RGB thing)...so I did a crop (using the pitstop coordinates) to crop out all the rest of the page, opened the cropped pdf in photoshop, converted it and saved it to my desktop, then opened the original pdf file (full page version), selected the original image (that wouldn't open) and used the place pdf (using grab area from selection)....worked like a charm!! I did have to cut the new image and delete the old one, tho...  :undecided:

Yeah, that Place PDF in a PDF dialogue box is clunky, to say the least. You have to really step-by-step it. Once you define the area, (broken rectangle), and follow the sequence, it's not so bad. As you say, same sized PDfs are a 'jump-in-place' breeze. I find myself using it for soft-proofing a lot. Especially where there's knives/varnishes. I just go to work on a copy of the files; knock back Opacity (under prepress tab), change/assign tints to varnishes....move placed 'layers' as desired to get the effect...(Edit>Pitstop Layers>Move Backwards~Forwards...).

LOL, today I used it to simulate white ink on grey board. Drew a rectangle over the job...assign a Spot tint, move to back. Then change 'white' ink colour to...whatever. Knock Opacity back to o%....white ink on 'board'.  Musta thought of that one while I was meditating about something else.    :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

robin

Hi Daniel,

You can use Magic PDF software. You can check it out at. www.magic-PDF.com.

-Robin