Epson 7900/9900 service life

Started by mc hristel, January 08, 2015, 11:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc hristel

Does anyone know what the expected service life of an Epson proofer is? We have a 9900 and 7900 here and they both have been run into the ground and I suspect it is past time for them to be replaced. Sadly the only information I can find online sounds like sales stats about capabilities, etc relating to a new Epson.

mwc

You can keep'em going. We still run a lot of jobs on our 9880.
Had the printhead replace and some other components ( a pump cap assembly or something like that?)
Anyhow, used Decision One (contact through Espson) - and it took care of our issues....at that time....

DigiCorn

:hangme: we used Decision 1 once for a 10600 repair, and they trashed the machine beyond repair, and wouldn't own up to it, or fix it properly. They had two techs on it for two weeks and then left and sued us when we wouldn't pay them. I say we and us, but you all know my sitch. Anyway, Epson will tell you 10,000 impressions but with good maintenance, you can go well beyond. I think my old 7880 was in the 22,000 range after 7 years.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mc hristel

Well, our 9900 reports it has printed just under 35,000 "pages" and it is in need of the printhead to be replaced. From what I've read, in most cases it's less expensive to just replace the proofer than to replace this. That may not be true with a good service contract though. Our 7900 is closer to 50,000 pages but is still running ok for now. They are both getting harder to keep calibrated though and any little thing seems to throw the proofs out of tolerance. Unfortunately, I'm not the one to make the call on the replacement or service of our proofers. I just get to try and keep the proofs passing.  :death:  That's been a lot of fun lately... Ugh!

Diddler

I've had the print heads replaced on our 9900 a 2 months ago, it had also done over over 35,000 prints it cost us about $2000 plus service call out from memory and have never had a problem with it since. Although we were told that it will need a new pump at the time we didn't go ahead with it and all seems to be working fine. Might be worth a try, if it does not work like you want it to you could at least sell it off second hand as almost new.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Yeah, head replacement's the next step; but you need a service person you can trust... critical. They'll read the stats output and tell you where you stand.
Too far away to help you with recommendations. But I've got a great guy in Sydney.   :smiley:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

we got a 9900 with spectro at our place. the nozzles are clogged and no amount of cleaning, power cleaning, voodoo or swearing at it will clear them. its been un verified for weeks now - i have told my manager we need the techs in and it will most likely be a new printhead

this might help anyone permanently unclog their printheads - helped me, i followed it to the letter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6kOEtgQqE

(safe for work)
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

DigiCorn

Unfortunately Epson only subs out to Decision 1 for maintenance. I'm sure as with any company, it depends on the skill level of your tech. The tech we got spent a week and made our 10600 even worse, on a "simple" head replacement. He did more damage, and required new parts. He left, came back and spent another week. He bent something and never could realign it. They send two new techs. No one could get it working. We took the 10600 150 miles to the Bay Area for a "black market" repair. The guy said it was so damaged, it couldn't be fixed. Decision 1 sued us when we refused to pay. Fuck Decision 1.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

:lmao:  Office Space Extreme.

I had my boss sit down for the last minute of that. It starts getting good at around the 4:30ish point.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

When I was having the code issue with my Epson I came across that video. I admit, I thought of taking that route.

My boss thinks everything works perfect all the time. There are never any issues.

I've learned a long time ago it's not worth bitching about since nothing gets done.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job