Mobile Web sites

Started by David, July 25, 2011, 08:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

ok, any of you guys currently doing or have done Mobile web sites?
If so, who/what do you use to build the sites and who's your host.

Just getting into this and doing research.

thanks
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

What are you building the main site with? Software like Joomla has themes specifically designed to detect mobile browsers and switch to a mobile theme. You can code it all manually but it's no easy feat.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I have also used a Joomla extension to make a site mobile-friendly. Some templates come with that built in.

It's still kind of a treacherous task and takes some tweaking. Doesn't work great on all websites, depends on the layout. And then there's like a gazillion diff mobile devices to accommodate. Have fun.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

not actually building any mobile web stuff yet, just seeking info.
I was asked to find out about placing ads on mobile phones (cost, etc)
I'm stumbling across all kinds of stuff and I'm starting to confuse myself. (not hard to do, lately)

See my query in the Web Dev thread. I'm thinking in way over my head here and not sure where to start at.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on July 25, 2011, 09:23:55 AMnot actually building any mobile web stuff yet, just seeking info.
I was asked to find out about placing ads on mobile phones (cost, etc)
I'm stumbling across all kinds of stuff and I'm starting to confuse myself. (not hard to do, lately)

See my query in the Web Dev thread. I'm thinking in way over my head here and not sure where to start at.

Studies show that mobile ads get clicked on more...due to the small size of the screen and people accidentally click them.

You need software, on the web site you are using, that will check the user agent of everyone that goes to your site. From the user agent they can determine the browser and whether it is a mobile version of that browser. If so it will switch to the mobile theme that you have created/installed. Goog for mobile detection.

gnubler

Quote from: david on July 25, 2011, 09:23:55 AMI was asked to find out about placing ads on mobile phones (cost, etc)

Not even sure how that would work. An ad on a website?

Again it all depends if that website has a mobile device version of display.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

I think they were wanting to place ads on other peoples apps. There are some sites that do this exclusively. Greystripe for one, is a website, that you post your custom app (game, or otherwise), and they determine which ad would work with it to generate money.
Then there's this place called Netbiscuits, they help you develop, publish and monetize cross platform apps (from reading their website).

Since paper printing is going down the tubes, we're looking to expand into web and mobile markets. We're wanting to see if there's money to be had in selling mobile ads to clients, that would, if clicked on, send an order to us that could be converted into a direct mail piece that would be done on a X700 or whatever for a personalized coupon good for some product.

not sure how it would work, hence the research.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

So you already have the app? If you create the app you could just put the ad in to start with. If you make the ad with javascript like google ads you could just change the ad on the web server when the need arises and the ad would change on the mobile device. You really either need a good web developer or become one yourself.

David

nope, don't have no app...  wish they could magically appear, maybe use Quark, PAP, or something.

Quote from: Joe, the omnipotentYou really either need a good web developer or become one yourself.

I would like to do option 2, do you have any free time for consultation?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on July 25, 2011, 10:17:39 AMnope, don't have no app...  wish they could magically appear, maybe use Quark, PAP, or something.

Quote from: Joe, the omnipotentYou really either need a good web developer or become one yourself.

I would like to do option 2, do you have any free time for consultation?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You don't want me consulting on web development! I'm a hack at best. Gnubler is your man.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on July 25, 2011, 10:39:27 AMI'm a hack at best. Gnubler is your man.

Just bring 5 gallon batches of margaritas for each tutoring session and it might work out.

David

only 5 gallons?!

geez, you're easy, well, not really easy, well, maybe cheep, well, not really cheep, but you know.    :kiss:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Easy, cheap, and a pleasure to work with. See you at 6 for Lesson #1.  :drunk3:

David

I guess lesson 1 would also involve a brief tutorial in SPELLING?    :laugh:

cheep or cheap, one's a bird sound, the other is not
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I thought it was the new way to spell cheap.