News:

Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 06, 2012, 12:31:48 PMI'm thinking of setting up a Private Channel using Roku SDK. It will host my personal collection of movies, tv and whatnot, for personal use. Has anyone else done this?

no but it sounds a bit like what Navi-X does for xbmc

fwiw those of you that don't have one of these little boxes, my original Roku still remains the all time best electronic gadget purchase, years later it still just does what it does so well I'm not even considering upgrading to a newer one.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 06, 2012, 12:31:48 PMI'm thinking of setting up a Private Channel using Roku SDK. It will host my personal collection of movies, tv and whatnot, for personal use. Has anyone else done this?

So how does that work? I assume you want to do this to share your library with family & friends? The library is stored on a computer on your own network? And then streamed to them? Wouldn't that eat up your bandwidth? Does Roku have anything in place to monitor the content for copyrighted materials and possibly block them?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on December 06, 2012, 12:44:23 PM

no but it sounds a bit like what Navi-X does for xbmc

fwiw those of you that don't have one of these little boxes, my original Roku still remains the all time best electronic gadget purchase, years later it still just does what it does so well I'm not even considering upgrading to a newer one.

Agreed that it does what it does well for the price. I'm moving my Roku to the living room TV where the big screen is not a smart TV, i.e....no network capabilities. I have Plex running on a Windows 7 box and connect to it wirelessly with the Roku using the Plex channel (no way I know of to connect the Roku to my XBMC setup that I use hence why I had to setup the Plex server). It works OK but it has a hard time recognizing some .srt caption files. Sometimes it recognizes and uses some of them and others it ignores. But it plays the sound and video flawlessly. I also have a 64 gb USB thumb drive I can plug directly into the Roku and watch it directly from it with no issues.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on December 06, 2012, 12:47:50 PM

So how does that work? I assume you want to do this to share your library with family & friends? The library is stored on a computer on your own network? And then streamed to them? Wouldn't that eat up your bandwidth? Does Roku have anything in place to monitor the content for copyrighted materials and possibly block them?
http://www.herofish.com/2012/01/how-to-create-you-own-roku-videoplayer-channel/

I think you upload your files to an internet location, or perhaps an always-on device or server (perhaps even a NAS) so that you can stream from a direct source without having to run a media server app like Plex or PlayON. I bought my cousin a Roku for his birthday and i thought I'd create a private channel, and then we'd both populate it with stuff to watch.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 06, 2012, 01:32:12 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 06, 2012, 12:47:50 PM

http://www.herofish.com/2012/01/how-to-create-you-own-roku-videoplayer-channel/

I think you upload your files to an internet location, or perhaps an always-on device or server (perhaps even a NAS) so that you can stream from a direct source without having to run a media server app like Plex or PlayON. I bought my cousin a Roku for his birthday and i thought I'd create a private channel, and then we'd both populate it with stuff to watch.

QuoteStep 5:  Put Your Files on the Internet Somewhere...

There ya go...

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on December 06, 2012, 01:42:41 PM

There ya go...
Well, I guess my question (not answered on the site, which is why I was wondering if anyone had done it) is does it have to be at an offsite internet storage server with a different IP/subnet or could you use a local NAS (or even a Cloud location)?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 06, 2012, 02:25:20 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 06, 2012, 01:42:41 PM

There ya go...
Well, I guess my question (not answered on the site, which is why I was wondering if anyone had done it) is does it have to be at an offsite internet storage server with a different IP/subnet or could you use a local NAS (or even a Cloud location)?

You can do it on your local NAS and use port forwarding in your router to route traffic to the IP address of the NAS....if your NAS supports whatever method the ROKU developer tools have you to use. And if you use a device on your network it is going to be using your ISP bandwidth. Many ISP's consider it a violation of your TOS if you are serving content to the web from an internal computer. Cloud storage would be iffy. For example Amazon S3 allows you to set up a basic HTML web site but you can't use it for a web site that uses something like ASP or PHP or something that needs to use MySQL. Not sure what Roku uses. I would try setting it up on your local network and see if you can get it working that way. If you can than it shouldn't be that much of a problem to get it working across the net. You would probably need to get a premium account on one of the file sharing sites to have the bandwidth and storage space you would need. Of course then you never know when the FBI will shutdown that particular file sharing service like what happened to megaupload.com.

t-pat

see if you can incorporate TOR into it if you want to be hiding. Seems overkill though, if it's on your LAN why have it leave your lan? Maybe you can use VPN too, but that'd slow it down. Just mail him dvds ffs.
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on December 06, 2012, 06:06:36 PMsee if you can incorporate TOR into it if you want to be hiding. Seems overkill though, if it's on your LAN why have it leave your lan? Maybe you can use VPN too, but that'd slow it down. Just mail him dvds ffs.

If it on his LAN the people streaming it from his LAN across the net will be using his bandwidth. It would be better to have it on a fast service on the net...but a lot of trouble to make it work right.

t-pat

no I meant if he's serving up under the same private subnet... like, only users on his lan. That didn't make sense, I must have misread. Nevermind.

Seems like you could just use plex though. Or a million other things. Not sure how any of this gets you privacy. VPN might be an option.
vdp donkey

Joe

I think if it is done as a Roku private channel, that only those he gives access to can see it. Of course I'm sure there are hackers out there that can defeat Roku security too and would turn it into their own private storage facility.