Trendsetter or Screen?

Started by Farabomb, April 09, 2015, 09:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I'd love a autoloader, especially with these Azura TS plates but I know I won't be getting one.

I'd bet manual load with offline punch and they will wonder about the fingerprints and registration issues.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Iove the autoloader.

I'm also a fan of the Screen platesetters. I've run older Trendsetters and they were nice units, but the Screen machines are tanks.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I did like the galilelo with the autoloader but it was far from stable.

Right now I'm splitting my hatered between customers that think 4:59 is end of day and my fucking proofer that said 2 days till calibration and decides, nope 4:59:30 is when it needs to be calibrated.

Fucking twice.  :strangle:

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Edgar

Hi,
We have worked with 2 Screen Platerites and changed after 10 years of operation by another 2 brand new Platerites. Seems to be more efficient than Trendsetter because their laser diodes and compact vacuum engine.

Platerites and Trendys are workhorses but take into account the availability of tech support and spare parts. If you think to work with only one ctp, you must to take this advice. There is no eternal ctp.

If ctps are used, just check dot consistence, sharp and hard, good register and no misterious noise when working. Clean and robust as the car of your dreams.

Hope this help.

Edgar

Oh, rarely my own car is japanese too. Seems that I'm a japanese but Texas is over my head (from mexican border).

Sayonara amigos.

Edgar

I Forget, Fuji plates also (and tacos, chile and guacamole).

Arigato.

Farabomb

Thanks for the advice Edgar.

I have 2 ECRM CAT88's here right now. One for parts and one that is our main one. We have been seeing lots of issues lately. I believe it is because of the lack of temperature regulation here or possibly just because they are old (2004) and capacitors might be drying up/failing. It seems whenever there is temperature extremes, hot or cold, we have major issues with lines on the plates. We have had this issue for years but with the new AGFA plates it seems to become worse. I have a small heater pointed at the CAT whenever it's off to keep the temp somewhat stable. We also are having issues with the console on the press. The boss thinks it's unrelated but I have a feeling it's not helping.

I totally agree about Fuji plates but AGFA has cut our plate and chem cost in half.

I just want a stable, repairable platesetter so I don't have to worry and keep the pressmen happy.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on April 10, 2015, 07:19:10 AMThanks for the advice Edgar.

I have 2 ECRM CAT88's here right now. One for parts and one that is our main one. We have been seeing lots of issues lately. I believe it is because of the lack of temperature regulation here or possibly just because they are old (2004) and capacitors might be drying up/failing. It seems whenever there is temperature extremes, hot or cold, we have major issues with lines on the plates. We have had this issue for years but with the new AGFA plates it seems to become worse. I have a small heater pointed at the CAT whenever it's off to keep the temp somewhat stable. We also are having issues with the console on the press. The boss thinks it's unrelated but I have a feeling it's not helping.

I totally agree about Fuji plates but AGFA has cut our plate and chem cost in half.

I just want a stable, repairable platesetter so I don't have to worry and keep the pressmen happy.
Keep in mind that the Screen platesetters (at least the Fuji-badged ones) have a temperature window that must be maintained. The machine will give you a warning if the ambient temp is affecting the laser head. Too hot or too cold and it will ask for an ambient temperature adjustment before it will image. We try to keep the temp around 70°F plus or minus a couple of degrees. Also, high humidity can cause the dew sensors to alarm and prevent imaging as well. We try to keep humidity below 50% using the air conditioning and dehumidifiers if necessary. Not sure if these environmental issues affect the Trendsetter.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

You may have just proved my point. The temp swing here is pretty severe. 53 at night and 68 ish during the day. Most times I wear a hat and jacket the whole day, it's cold in here. I can easily see how that can affect a thermal plate system.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

You would be ok running at 68, but not in the 50's and low 60's - the machine would just stop and ask you to raise the temp to an acceptable level. A low of 18C (64F) and a high of 28C (82F) will trigger an error alarm about the temp of the environment and will not allow the machine to image anything.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

I kinda wish the CAT had that. Would prove my point about it being freezing in here. Low 60's in the winter and I don't think it gets to 84 in here but it's hot as hell.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Marktonk

Farabomb,

Look for  a used Supraetter 105 or 106, it was designed to run in adverse environments. It has a very wide operating range of 62.6 to 86. Part of this is attributed to having temperature compensation where the plates are always imaged at the same temperature regardless of the ambiant temperature as long as it is within the operating range. This also insures a plate remake will register as long as the plates were imaged with in the operating range. This, along with the most modern laser design, provide the widest industry operating range. This will not keep you warm but I might be able to send you a Heidelberg jacket.

https://www.heidelberg.com/us/en/products/prepress/computer_to_plate/suprasetter_a106_106__106_uv/suprasetter_a106_106_106_uv.jsp

Good luck!

Mark
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Farabomb

Thanks for that info. I will be looking into them. As we are not down we can take our time looking and if we can find one used in the same range as the others, the wider temperature window would be a bonus.

Is it a bespoke design or is it a modified device that shares parts with other devices?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Marktonk

Hi Farabomb,

The Suprasetter is designed and manufactured by Heidelberg in Weisloch, Germany. It is a complete family from a 20" CtP up to a 73" CtP. There are thousands of Suprasetters installed and we do occasionally offer used ones as well as I see dealers offering used. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help. Thanks.

Best,

Mark
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

gig0

Quote from: Marktonk on April 14, 2015, 03:55:07 PMHi Farabomb,

The Suprasetter is designed and manufactured by Heidelberg in Weisloch, Germany. It is a complete family from a 20" CtP up to a 73" CtP. There are thousands of Suprasetters installed and we do occasionally offer used ones as well as I see dealers offering used. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help. Thanks.

Best,

Mark

Hey Mark, this is a bit off topic but did you happen to be an instructor for the Tango and Topaz drum scanners & software down in Long Beach back in the late 90's?
Prinergy Evo <option 8> Colorproof XF <option 8> Epson 7800's (shut up) <option 8> Screen Platerite 4200 & Lotem 400  <option 8> Various Konica & OCE digital printers