Black text - overprint or not?

Started by Made in Taiwan, April 22, 2015, 09:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Made in Taiwan

A few days ago, I had an issue with black text and yellow stroke. The Text was 60pt., 100K and set to overprint and the stroke was 100Y, lying halfly outside the text and halfly under the text. In the overprint preview in Acrobat, it looked like the text color would be heavily influenced by the underlying yellow stroke (see attached image). So I've decided to set the text to knock out again.

Well, in the aftermath I've kept thinking. The result was good, but how would it have looked if I've really kept it on overprint? Can anyone of you share some experience with me about this kind of case? Would the black text really be influenced that heavily? How about other examples, like a big 100K rectangle on top of a red/white chessboard pattern, for example? Pitstop has an option to not overprint text bigger than how many points, does anybody use this option? If yes, which font size do you use?
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Joe

Yes indeed black set to overprint will allow the underlying tone to "show through" and it will affect the look of the black. And yes you would probably see the squares in the black over the red and white rectangles. We force black overprint on text that is 12 pt. and smaller and force knockout under anything larger than 12 pt.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Not quite what you're discussing, but we have to watch for this a bit with our stuff. Dezinger had this OP'ing on the red shirt. may have worked, as red was pretty homogenous, but would have had the 'warm' tinge, which tends too look a bit crap.

So KO'd it and added 40C. Damn PitStop.. so good, so quick.

... was outlined Text, of course, in this case.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Made in Taiwan

Thank you, Joe and Frailer!

Been curious about this question for a bunch of time already... I'll adopt the 12 pt rule directly. And bigger areas will be set to KO.
Special thanks to Frailer for giving me the example with the red shirt, this would have been something I'd probably (definitely) do wrong, too.

Always cool to have you guys around, otherwise I'd be lost here with nobody to tell me. Guess at least half of what I know so far I've learned from here.

(By the way, I also like Pitstop. Just finished an action list to change the page box layout for saddle stitching, but that's another story...)
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

mwc

Quote from: Joe on April 22, 2015, 09:38:39 PMYes indeed black set to overprint will allow the underlying tone to "show through" and it will affect the look of the black. And yes you would probably see the squares in the black over the red and white rectangles. We force black overprint on text that is 12 pt. and smaller and force knockout under anything larger than 12 pt.

Agreed. Although we have set our auto-tolerance for black overprint to 24pt and below. All depends on the artwork, but this has worked well for my (employers) shop.

David

Quote from: frailer on April 22, 2015, 09:49:59 PMNot quite what you're discussing, but we have to watch for this a bit with our stuff. Dezinger had this OP'ing on the red shirt. may have worked, as red was pretty homogenous, but would have had the 'warm' tinge, which tends too look a bit crap.

We had one similar to this, except that the customer wanted it to overprint and look wierd...  go figure.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

I am on board with all this. I would add that if the type gets REALLY big, we make it rich black.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

frailer

Quote from: david on April 23, 2015, 08:56:07 AM
Quote from: frailer on April 22, 2015, 09:49:59 PMNot quite what you're discussing, but we have to watch for this a bit with our stuff. Dezinger had this OP'ing on the red shirt. may have worked, as red was pretty homogenous, but would have had the 'warm' tinge, which tends too look a bit crap.

We had one similar to this, except that the customer wanted it to overprint and look wierd...  go figure.
Exactly my predicament on this one yesterday. We don't get lasers very often now, so don't really know 'what it's meant to look like'.
I let this go mainly because, well, I didn't notice it, but had to fix it to KO, of course.
But by the sounds, your dezinger on that one would have preferred the OP one.    :tongue:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

If it is white text and they want that to overprint they better tell us up front because Prinergy automatically changes all whites to knockout.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yes I recall that as a difference between Prinergy and XMF, though have been meaning to backtrack that as to tweakability.
This might motivate me...(note for next week... blues skies here.. better make the most of it).

Farabomb

Honestly, I like the overprint effect but it makes it a bitch to read.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Most designers don't build stuff so you can read it, that would be silly.
It just has to look cool.

:rainbow:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Got this the other day, sort of related. Clever designer had placed an image inside of a question mark frame, but had left the actual image RGB black, and filled the frame with just 100% Black. I ghetto fixed it, cloned the bottom of the image far enough to fill the frame, instead of trying to determine the rich black in the photo.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.