News:

Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Ya bunch of bastards. Couldn't resist the temptation so I stopped and picked up the last one at Target. Damn the thing is tiny.

Think it took longer to get my wireless keyboard and trackball to install than getting it up and running. Downloading updates and angry birds took a bit because of my crappy connection but it's pretty much idiot proof. So far the image quality seems better than the apps on my internet TV. Haven't played with Pandora yet but as long as it actually quits when I ask it to, rather than shutting off for 30 seconds then continuing playing like the TV app does I'm happy.

I'll play around this weekend with the USB and such but so far I'm quite happy with my ROI on it. Great, more TV to make me lazy but it sure beats paying the monthly fee on cable that I'll watch only a few channels.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 22, 2012, 07:32:10 PMYa bunch of bastards. Couldn't resist the temptation so I stopped and picked up the last one at Target. Damn the thing is tiny.

Think it took longer to get my wireless keyboard and trackball to install than getting it up and running. Downloading updates and angry birds took a bit because of my crappy connection but it's pretty much idiot proof. So far the image quality seems better than the apps on my internet TV. Haven't played with Pandora yet but as long as it actually quits when I ask it to, rather than shutting off for 30 seconds then continuing playing like the TV app does I'm happy.

I'll play around this weekend with the USB and such but so far I'm quite happy with my ROI on it. Great, more TV to make me lazy but it sure beats paying the monthly fee on cable that I'll watch only a few channels.

Us?

<======== :angel:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 22, 2012, 07:32:10 PMYa bunch of bastards. Couldn't resist the temptation so I stopped and picked up the last one at Target. Damn the thing is tiny.

All my movies from the USB drive now play. The one that wouldn't earlier was a test I was doing using different encoding settings. Pretty much using the standard Handbrake settings, everything plays. Quality is every bit as good as the original DVD. I have to figure out how to get captions but regardless of that I'm a very happy camper with my Roku so far.

DigiCorn

I'll be happy once I figure out how to get Navi-X running. The wife watched Contagion on Navi-X on Boxee Box when I was out of town a weekend or two ago. Now she won't shut up about it. I spoiled myself by streaming to the big tv on the comfortable couch, and now I don't want to go back to the futon and the 32".

I was skimming through some of the movie apps last night. There are literally thousands of free movies on Roku, but a lot of them are dogs. Still, Crackle or Flix or one of those has a bunch of campy horror films that could easily fill my time over a weekend or two (Psycho, Child's Play, all the Saws, etc.)

I have to wait until the weekend or on a night my wife works to really get into the thing and see what all there is going on. So far, a way better experience than the Boxee Box.

I have been reading the Roku user forums and PM'd a few of the guys over there. Here's one of the responses I got:

Hi
You might want to look into the playon tv private channel. They do not allow discussion of this channel on the roku forums so please do not reference this PM back on the forum or associate me with any discussion of Playon. Espn3 does work wonderfully via this channel if your ISP provides the stream. They offer a free trial, no credit card required to try the channel out. It is a server program so you do have to have the software running on a computer on the same network as the roku to make it work.

More info

http://www.playon.tv/playon/

Good Luck and happy espn3 viewing
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

I've had a few cornsumer electronic video gadgets, (original Arcos player, D-Link DSM320), all DOGS. The original Roku I have - not a dog. How is it that a little company like that can get something so right?

Getting more and more tempted to get an XS.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

There is no one set-top box to rule them all... but Roku is cheap, simple, and the workarounds work and are easy. I say go for it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 23, 2012, 09:16:13 AMI'll be happy once I figure out how to get Navi-X running. The wife watched Contagion on Navi-X on Boxee Box when I was out of town a weekend or two ago. Now she won't shut up about it. I spoiled myself by streaming to the big tv on the comfortable couch, and now I don't want to go back to the futon and the 32".

I was skimming through some of the movie apps last night. There are literally thousands of free movies on Roku, but a lot of them are dogs. Still, Crackle or Flix or one of those has a bunch of campy horror films that could easily fill my time over a weekend or two (Psycho, Child's Play, all the Saws, etc.)

I have to wait until the weekend or on a night my wife works to really get into the thing and see what all there is going on. So far, a way better experience than the Boxee Box.

I have been reading the Roku user forums and PM'd a few of the guys over there. Here's one of the responses I got:

Hi
You might want to look into the playon tv private channel. They do not allow discussion of this channel on the roku forums so please do not reference this PM back on the forum or associate me with any discussion of Playon. Espn3 does work wonderfully via this channel if your ISP provides the stream. They offer a free trial, no credit card required to try the channel out. It is a server program so you do have to have the software running on a computer on the same network as the roku to make it work.

More info

http://www.playon.tv/playon/

Good Luck and happy espn3 viewing

Plex has an ESPN3 channel. I tried it yesterday and get an error on the screen for everything I tried to watch which it seems is pretty typical of most plugins/channels/apps for Boxee, XBMC, and Plex. Roku has sports channels like CBS Sports, MLB and a bunch of others but not ESPN that I can find. Although I have added the Plex channel to Roku I don't see me using it much since #1 I don't like to leave the server running on my Mac all of the time (which as you pointed out, you would have to do with playon) and #2 I can watch Plex/XBMC/Boxee via HDMI connection direct from the Mac to the TV without clogging up the network. Navi-X on the Roku would be nice but it's not a deal breaker for me as I can watch it via XBMC if I want to see it.

t-pat

When all it did was play Netflix I bought the original, for $90. I'm still totally satisfied with it, for that price, and for that sole function - because it did just that one thing so much better than the other options. Now that my original roku has more channels on it I still just use it for that one thing that it did so well that initially got me to buy it. I can see getting another one for the living room (where the original roku lived for a long time until we got the htpc with boxee) - just because netflix playback is superior on it to watching via pc.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Roksbox looks promising. It's a private channel which allows you to stream video, music, and photos from your network to the Roku or play content from a USB device. It is a private channel and has a non-recurring lifetime fee of $15.00 which will allow you to use it on all Roku devices in your home...it has a free 30 day trial period though so I'm going to test it out.

You can add the channel here (you must be logged into your Roku account): ROKSBOX

Joe

Another one (public) is RoConnect. It's $0.99. It's in the channel store.

DigiCorn

I just had to go to Fry's for work to buy an NAS 2TB external to fix our backup problems as we convert from AIT to DVD/Blu-Ray and they had restocked with Rokus. I got mine a few days ago, and they only had one XS box left, and open box and it was missing the AV cable for $94 (which I didn't need anyway because of the HDMI). Today they had special edition Red XS with an angry bird logo stenciled on top for $99 new and $79 open box. I had my receipt with me, and Fry's price matches, so I got $16.16 in cash back for the price match! Awesome... only I have the black box with an XS stenciled on it... it might have been cool to get the red one, but the black one is stealthier on my AV rack.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

AV rack? it's so small you can velcro it to the back of the TV.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on February 23, 2012, 03:02:07 PMAV rack? it's so small you can velcro it to the back of the TV.
You could, but then you'd have to upgrade to the UHF remote instead of using the IR one it comes with. Unless there's an iphone/android app I'm not aware of.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Just bought the android app today and the remote that comes with the XS is RF, not IR. RTFM man!

I was cruising the forums today, noticed your post and stumbled onto a FAQ/Tweak post where I found the app.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

The Roku ships, batteries included. Mine must be dead already, because it doesn't act like a UHF/RF remote - it acts like an IR. I swear I read that you could upgrade to the RF remote.

BTW, here's a page from the manual. RTFM yourself  :lmao:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway