News:

Main Menu

Reinstalling

Started by Farabomb, April 22, 2016, 07:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Acrobat is about as stable as a hooker on methadone on my mac. I was thinking of reinstalling it but it seems I got CS6 digitally as I don't have physical media for it. This made me take a step back and think.

Is reinstalling the best choice? Are there any settings or perfs I can delete and see if that improves things? Remember I'm from the PC camp and reinstalling is the normal choice. Will I have to reinstall pitstop as well?

If I do install I would assume I have to do to adobe for the download? Knowing me if it was possible to download and save it I did and it's somewhere on the 6TB of storage here.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Is this Acrobat XI and OS X 10.6.8?

You can delete the prefs but not sure how much that is going to help you. I can send you the Acrobat XI installer when I get to work if you want it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Well shit, I actually found the CS6 upgrade.

If you remember, I'm cloning the drive now and going to try and reinstall.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Use the Acrobat XI uninstaller first so you get rid of all of the bits and pieces.

Farabomb

Groovy, thanks for the heads up.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Say Adobe is being a hateful bitch and not allowing you to reinstall acrobat, what folders do I need to restore in TM?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

No idea. They scatter them everywhere anymore. I remember the good old days (on a Mac) when it put an application in your applications folder and that was all there was. Now they are scattered everywhere.

What is it doing that won't let you re-install it?

Farabomb

It's saying there are no errors in the error log but it's saying error 3. I had it install once but then wouldn't open and told me to uninstall then reinstall.

I'm onto my cloned HDD now and damn it's slow. 

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Is it Acrobat XI that you are trying to get re-installed?

Joe

Farabomb

You're a funny man Joe. Acrobat XI is too advanced for us. More like X.

I restored from my clone, maybe I'll give it a crack later. Of course it's the end of the day and rush jobs came in.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

The cleaner doesn't specify if it is for a specific version so it will probably work with X also.

wonderings

Usually there is an uninstall tool with the Adobe Creative Suit installer, pretty sure it was there for CS6. Run that, uninstall Acrobat that way, then do a proper install. No need to muck about trying to find folders to delete.

Another helpful tool for uninstalling apps when there is no uninstaller is AppCleaner https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
They have older versions from 10.5 and up. It is free and I use it now and then, you just open it, drag the app to it and it does the rest.

Farabomb

I used the uninstaller in CS6 from the get go but it still didn't want to play nice.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Is there another version installed maybe? I have never had an issue uninstalling and reinstalling fresh using the Adobe uninstall method, just make sure you deactivate first so you can register the new install.