Can't connect to modem using ethernet

Started by whamboozeled, October 30, 2014, 06:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whamboozeled

I am on a power mac g5 running 10.4.11.

I just got a new modem Motorola sbg6580 & I can't log in to it via ethernet on my mac, It doesn't even see it.

I can log into it using an even older mac and a pc, but my current mac I have no luck.

I can unplug from the new modem & plug into the old modem Motorola sbg900 & it see's it fine, so it is not a bad ethernet cable or port.

I called the Motorola tech support & they are stumped too.

I also tried another new modem with the same result.

When connected to a new modem if you look under system pref, network, ethernet, it says ethernet cable unplugged.

I deleted all locations & made a new one, but still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

My guess is that your G5 is not on the same network address. On the older Mac or PC that does see the new modem what is the IP address of those? What is the IP address of the G5 running 10.4.11? What IP address do you use to access the modem on the Mac that is working? What is the subnet address of all of those devices too? Are some using DHCP while others are connectiong via manual settings?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

This model seems to not like Mac's firewall. Do you have it turned off or on?
Member #285 - Civilian

whamboozeled

Quote from: Joe on October 30, 2014, 06:24:15 PMMy guess is that your G5 is not on the same network address. On the older Mac or PC that does see the new modem what is the IP address of those? What is the IP address of the G5 running 10.4.11? What IP address do you use to access the modem on the Mac that is working? What is the subnet address of all of those devices too? Are some using DHCP while others are connectiong via manual settings?

All were using DHCP, While on with tech support we did try to connect manually but had not luck.

whamboozeled

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 30, 2014, 06:25:26 PMThis model seems to not like Mac's firewall. Do you have it turned off or on?

Firewall is off

Joe

Quote from: whamboozeled on October 30, 2014, 07:04:07 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 30, 2014, 06:24:15 PMMy guess is that your G5 is not on the same network address. On the older Mac or PC that does see the new modem what is the IP address of those? What is the IP address of the G5 running 10.4.11? What IP address do you use to access the modem on the Mac that is working? What is the subnet address of all of those devices too? Are some using DHCP while others are connectiong via manual settings?

All were using DHCP, While on with tech support we did try to connect manually but had not luck.

So what is the IP address of the modem. And the G5 that won't connect?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.