News:

Main Menu

Business Plan

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, July 23, 2016, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, this is going to be a bit lengthy, but hear me out.

I need some help thinking this through, and I can think of no where else to get a wide diverse group such as you guys to help me.

So, screwing around on Facial Book, I start talking with an old friend of mine who I inform I am unemployed. He at first is absolutely furious with me for not telling him sooner, but after all the blah, blah, blah, we start talking.

I've known this guy for over 25 years, back when I was doing the Service Bureau gigs. Since then, he and I have crossed paths many times professionally, but have always remained really good friends. He knows my family, knows the wife and is just a cool bastard. He is one of the few that gets and can hang with my severely warped sense of humor. Needless to say, we have always gotten along really well.

Okay, so here's the skinny:

He left the radio business as their marketing manager several years ago, you may remember the KATT posters I did a while back where I won my weight in Famous Star hamburgers? Yeah, this is the guy that made that possible.

For the last 8 years or so, he has been running a business where he supplies photographers, video guys and web artists/graphic guys space to do their work on a temporary basis. He has a full studio with all the mics, cameras, computers, the green screen, I mean the works. Has a pretty good handle on marketing in general and has a lot of connections.

He just got finished remodeling a new building, but has a ton of space and really good visibility to I-35. He wants me to figure out a way to utilize the storefront space he has and maybe get into doing more than JUST supplying artists workspace.

After talking, especially with my background in Prepress, printing and POP, we come to the conclusion opening up a large format, multi-graphics store would be the most advantageous and profitable. We have some other ideas, but need a vehicle to get capital before we start branching off on some of our other hair-brained, crazy ideas. The location is the key, there are no other outfits doing this kind of work in the area that are worth a shit.

My thought was, at first, outsource a lot of the work, setting up a network of vendors to do most of the grunt work and uncharging the customers until we get the funds to invest in our own equipment. His contacts and mine, would definitely be worth the effort. Basically, we are open to anything. BUT, we walk it through, from start to finish and "handle" the job like if we were doing it. Think of a print-broker, but on a larger scale.

I'm talking signage, trade show booths, banners, posters, print, wraps, whatever... the key being, we follow the simple rule: Price, Quality, Turnaround Time - Pick 2.

What do you think? Does this sound feasible? What problems do you foresee and what opinions do you have about this? I am open to any and all criticisms, all opinions and all comments. I want to go into this feeling all my basis are covered and I think you guys are the best people to see this having a Prepress background.

Thank you in advance.

Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

It's definitely a good market to be in. I have 2 friends that are doing it and met another guy at the bar when the topic of printing came up. My one friend works at a local place and they're never slow. My other friend owns the business and just picked up some major accounts like Delta and M-B. If the commute wasn't so shitty, I'd go work for him.

One of the issues I see with outsourcing the work is the quality and timing. I know we have issues all the time with our vendors, well maybe that's because we use cheap, shitty ones. I have a feeling you're a bit of a perfectionist like me and unless you find good vendors, you might drive yourself nuts. I know it's a little far away but I can give you the contact info of my NJ based guy.

P.S. last paragraph, it's bases, not basis. I know, I should be the last guy commenting. I go back and read some of my posts and I wonder what kind of drugs I'm on.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I would have the same concerns about outsourcing. You are the vendors mercy as far as times to get it back and quality. We run into both of those issues when outsourcing a few things. But I'm sure there are good ones out there but you have to be careful. They will make all kinds of promises to get your business and then fall when trying to do the work.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

yep, the only week link is going to be the outsourced vendors. If you got some you trust to do the work and complete it on time, it should be a minimal worry.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Only thing I can add is I see more and more "Large Format Printing" jobs than anything else.
seriously thinking about getting some of these skills

Possum

Maybe start slow with one machine, then gradually get more? That way, you'd have control over the whole process. You don't have to fill the whole building all at once. If you get orders that machine can't handle, you'd have to outsource to start with, but at least you'd have some control over the work, gradually taking on more and more.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

born2print

Yes, classic catch-22, you need the clients to get the machines and you need the machines to service the clients.
I've seen it work, it is doable.
My thought is to minimize risk by just getting what you need, used equip. even. That way you're not carrying so much debt that you can't sleep or keep food down.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on July 25, 2016, 08:08:01 AMI would have the same concerns about outsourcing. You are the vendors mercy as far as times to get it back and quality. We run into both of those issues when outsourcing a few things. But I'm sure there are good ones out there but you have to be careful. They will make all kinds of promises to get your business and then fall when trying to do the work.
You know the solution to that problem, right? B4P folks buy the equipment, set up shop(s) and become the vendors! We know we all give a shit more than most places out there & wouldn't screw over one of our own.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

That was actually the first thought that came to mind. I have 2 friends that offered me money to buy my brother out. Knowing the inner workings here I knew damn well that wouldn't work nor was a worthwhile investment. Now starting a wide format place might be worth it.  ???

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Thanks for all the input, for sure. I really like Slappy's idea, too bad for now it isn't a reality. I can see something like this happening, though. :hello:

After reading all of this, and a few more brainstorming sessions, I think I have refined my idea a little further...

Okay, what about being a business promotion outfit? For example, come up with a package system and just for explanation sake I do a bronze, silver, gold, platinum type structure, where each package is incremental in price, but each package contains business promotion deals containing like, BCs, brochures and maybe a banner. Next deal would be the same, but adding maybe a web page and hosting. The next package would contain the same, but adding maybe radio spots, and finally the last being the same but adding TV?

This is all kind of floating in my head right now, I mean, I can break this down even further, by adding a la carte items; window clings, posters, signage... you get the idea. We would advertise free consultation from business promotional experts with XX amount of experience, and tout the idea we are using Oklahoma or local businesses to accommodate your promotional needs, (Oklahoma eats that shit up). We would walk your projects through these "trusted" vendors we have a relationship with, all the while keeping the customer needs at the forefront, because we WANT to make your business succeed...

Get the idea? There is a lot more I need to think about to really finalize the plan, but that's where I am right now...

What do you think?

Member #285 - Civilian

David

can I get a large with fries?

Seriously, sounds like a good idea.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

You can make your own large fries! :laugh:

Sounds like someone thinking outside of the box!
I'm more of an inside the box girl :laugh: :cry:

Farabomb

I didn't know you swung that way Tracy.  :dev2:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 26, 2016, 11:14:38 AMThanks for all the input, for sure. I really like Slappy's idea, too bad for now it isn't a reality. I can see something like this happening, though. :hello:

After reading all of this, and a few more brainstorming sessions, I think I have refined my idea a little further...

Okay, what about being a business promotion outfit? For example, come up with a package system and just for explanation sake I do a bronze, silver, gold, platinum type structure, where each package is incremental in price, but each package contains business promotion deals containing like, BCs, brochures and maybe a banner. Next deal would be the same, but adding maybe a web page and hosting. The next package would contain the same, but adding maybe radio spots, and finally the last being the same but adding TV?

This is all kind of floating in my head right now, I mean, I can break this down even further, by adding a la carte items; window clings, posters, signage... you get the idea. We would advertise free consultation from business promotional experts with XX amount of experience, and tout the idea we are using Oklahoma or local businesses to accommodate your promotional needs, (Oklahoma eats that shit up). We would walk your projects through these "trusted" vendors we have a relationship with, all the while keeping the customer needs at the forefront, because we WANT to make your business succeed...

Get the idea? There is a lot more I need to think about to really finalize the plan, but that's where I am right now...

What do you think?

Don't forget social media. Everyone wants to be on social media.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on July 26, 2016, 01:34:40 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 26, 2016, 11:14:38 AMThanks for all the input, for sure. I really like Slappy's idea, too bad for now it isn't a reality. I can see something like this happening, though. :hello:

What do you think?

Don't forget social media. Everyone wants to be on social media.

I have it in my notes. Yes, that is a HUGE part of marketing a business. I just failed to mention it.
Member #285 - Civilian