Can someone explain this

Started by Lammy, November 28, 2012, 04:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lammy

Client gave us an Indesign file in spreads for a perfect bound book. When I change it from spreads to single pages all the images save the one the bleeds on the outside move a half of an inch to the right.

Why?  :wtf:

Screen shots attached.
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I don't really know why but why would you want to change them to single pages?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

fixing it should be fairly straightforward using this script (found in automation/scripts/application/samples)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DCurry

Instead of changing to single pages, select all the spreads and go to the pages palette flyout menu and uncheck "Allow selected spreads to shuffle."
If you do it right, the page numbers beneath the thumbnails will have brackets around them (see screenshot called "during." Then you can select the right-hand page and drag its thumbnail to the right. It will split the spread, but keep it in the right position in relation to the gutter (screenshot "after.")
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

gnubler

Or just PDF it into single pages.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DCurry

Quote from: gnubler on November 28, 2012, 09:54:28 PMOr just PDF it into single pages.

That won't work if elements come right up to the gutter but don't cross over. Also depends on the bindery preferences if they want bleed in the grindoff area or not. We don't put bleed there, but I know a bindery in town that prefers it that way.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Grimace

Quote from: DCurry on November 28, 2012, 07:27:55 PMInstead of changing to single pages, select all the spreads and go to the pages palette flyout menu and uncheck "Allow selected spreads to shuffle."
If you do it right, the page numbers beneath the thumbnails will have brackets around them (see screenshot called "during." Then you can select the right-hand page and drag its thumbnail to the right. It will split the spread, but keep it in the right position in relation to the gutter (screenshot "after.")

That is cool and something new to me. Is there a common reason to use this type of layout?

DHG

Quote from: Grimace on November 29, 2012, 11:27:39 AM
Quote from: DCurry on November 28, 2012, 07:27:55 PMInstead of changing to single pages, select all the spreads and go to the pages palette flyout menu and uncheck "Allow selected spreads to shuffle."

That is cool and something new to me. Is there a common reason to use this type of layout?

Like what DCurry explained, I do that for every perfect bound book because you need to have bleed on the inside of the page that goes into the binding. You may not need to pull apart all the spreads. It all depends on whether the page should bleed or not.

born2print

Quote from: DCurry on November 29, 2012, 10:36:53 AM
Quote from: gnubler on November 28, 2012, 09:54:28 PMOr just PDF it into single pages.

That won't work if elements come right up to the gutter but don't cross over. Also depends on the bindery preferences if they want bleed in the grindoff area or not. We don't put bleed there, but I know a bindery in town that prefers it that way.
That's a good point, we used to do whatever it took to get bleed into the grind but after PDFs took over, no one was interested in kicking back for all new files so we tried some without and our Pbind vendors all seem to cope without any. Now we don't bother unless it's safe/easy to do so.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

t-pat

grindoff bleed seems so pointless. You won't find it unless you break the spine.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

It's not the only pointless thing some of my places or bosses want.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on November 29, 2012, 05:12:06 PMgrindoff bleed seems so pointless. You won't find it unless you break the spine.

Obviously you have not seen the work of our bindery. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Grimace

Quote from: DHG on November 29, 2012, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: Grimace on November 29, 2012, 11:27:39 AM

Like what DCurry explained, I do that for every perfect bound book because you need to have bleed on the inside of the page that goes into the binding. You may not need to pull apart all the spreads. It all depends on whether the page should bleed or not.

Thanks. I have always just handled inside bleed in the imposition. But now that I know about this, I'm sure a job will present itself.

gnubler

Quote from: t-pat on November 29, 2012, 05:12:06 PMgrindoff...bleed...pointless...break the spine.

I hope we're talking about sales slime here.