Giant, messy files

Started by jesdlg@gmail.com, May 05, 2016, 10:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesdlg@gmail.com

I work at a print shop that uses an HP Indigo 7600 press with all of their RIP engines and software.

Every once in awhile, I get flattened pdf files that are huge and although the RIPs can handle them, it slows them down and printing is extremely slow. When we have to add variables to these big files, they obviously become insane. 

What do you do for this kind of problem? The only thing I've found that works without losing *too much* quality, is to convert to jpegs and re-compose that way before sending to RIPs.  Files are still large, but not as bad and they move faster.

Ear

Pop quiz? ... shoot the hostage.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

You may want to not have your email as your username.

Well, unless you love spam.

Tons and tons of spam.

I can't weigh in on the RIP problem though. I have a PDF RIP here so transparency stays live.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

... and converting anything to a jpeg, prior to sending to a RIP is a bad idea, in terms of quality. Ask gewgle about "lossy image compression" and "jpeg artifact".
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

jesdlg@gmail.com

Quote from: Farabomb on May 05, 2016, 10:57:35 AMYou may want to not have your email as your username.

Well, unless you love spam.

Tons and tons of spam.

I can't weigh in on the RIP problem though. I have a PDF RIP here so transparency stays live.

I can't change the profile name and I'm too lazy to make a new account...it's an old email that I don't really use anymore so meh.  Thanks for looking out, though! :)

jesdlg@gmail.com

Quote from: Ear on May 05, 2016, 11:07:25 AM... and converting anything to a jpeg, prior to sending to a RIP is a bad idea, in terms of quality. Ask gewgle about "lossy image compression" and "jpeg artifact".

Yeah...I don't like doing it but returning files and requesting them to be cleaner/smaller with the customer base we have is not an option. Converting to jpegs has been the last resort short of asking for ALL the native files (again, with our customer base this somehow becomes a stressful and confusing process, if even possible) and reworking the entire thing myself, but when there's 10+ pages and 2-8 versions...and only 1 person in graphics (myself) I'd about rather shoot myself in the face.   :shoots_self:

Crap in, crap out...but then of course the owners are fine with that warning until someone comes back asking what happened. Even though the proof was approved.  Even with the above preflight comments. -.-

Greg_Firestone

Hi there,

As the others have said, rasterizing helps but is not ideal. And in your case, I don't think you can easily upgrade hardware. Do you happen to have some example files you could provide? I like to provide problem files to my developers so they have samples for future feature requests. You're not the only printer that has this problem, especially as files become more and more complex.

Greg

Joe

Once they are flattened it is game over. You can try using the Acrobat Optimizer which might help a little bit. But short of shooting the person doing the flattening there isn't much that can be done.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Not sure if your Indigo has it, but background form is a handy feature, then it RIPs the background once and keeps it while adding the data layer over top for each sheet.
If it doesn't have it, you can run 2 passes through the press, which isn't always welcomed by the operator.
If the variable interacts with the background, my ideas go out the window.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Tracy

yeah, it's a problem when we can't go back to the customer

good idea Born!

Ear

I don't really see the problem with giant, messy files. They take a little longer but they make me feel pretty special. Like "that was a big turd and I polished the shit right out of it"

mattbeals

Quote from: born2print on May 05, 2016, 11:51:24 AMNot sure if your Indigo has it, but background form is a handy feature, then it RIPs the background once and keeps it while adding the data layer over top for each sheet.

This is the way to do it if your software and RIP support it.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.