News:

Main Menu

Q2ID vs. 'Import'

Started by frailer, February 08, 2012, 03:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Our head office dezinger people asked me to look at Q2ID pricing. I've received a question from 'higher-up'... "Doesn't InDesign import Quark files?"

What's the current status on this? We've just moved to CS5.5. Would want to be able to open ANY Q file. My guess is that Q2ID would offer a more reliable/featured route.   :undecided:

Here's one post 'out there'... 'Indesign CS5 can open Quark files, but the quark file needs to be "backsaved" to Quark 4 if it is a newer quark file version - q2id is a much better solution'.  Sounds like a cheapskate road to ruin, if still true.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

I used q2id once, on a catalog. It worked well enough to get the thing going but it was an in-house job for the old company so I had a lot of leeway and replaced half the content. Not a great indication of how a live job would go as-is.
IIRC indesign will open quack 4 files only  :old:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DCurry

I think ID will only open really old Q files, like version 4 (maybe 5, can't remember.) Quark got wind of it and changed something to make it no worky anymore in newer versions.

We have a copy of Q2ID and it is great. We wouldn't convert a customer's file, but most of our stuff is inhouse and all ID now, so anything old done in Q gets converted.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

Thanks Dan. just the answer I needed.    :punchy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

t-pat

funny, nearly the same answer.
vdp donkey

frailer

Quote from: frailer on February 08, 2012, 04:08:49 PMThanks Dan and tpat. just the answer I needed.    :punchy:

.............. sorry...........   :laugh:

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on February 08, 2012, 04:19:01 PM
Quote from: frailer on February 08, 2012, 04:08:49 PMThanks Dan and tpat. just the answer I needed.    :punchy:

you're just miffed at me because I said I like Housos
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on February 08, 2012, 03:24:28 PMOur head office dezinger people asked me to look at Q2ID pricing. I've received a question from 'higher-up'... "Doesn't InDesign import Quark files?"

What's the current status on this? We've just moved to CS5.5. Would want to be able to open ANY Q file. My guess is that Q2ID would offer a more reliable/featured route.   :undecided:

Here's one post 'out there'... 'Indesign CS5 can open Quark files, but the quark file needs to be "backsaved" to Quark 4 if it is a newer quark file version - q2id is a much better solution'.  Sounds like a cheapskate road to ruin, if still true.

You know, saving back is not really a great idea. You lose all the features built into the newer versions. If said desinger uses drop shadows or any of that other transparency crap, QXD.V4 will drop it out. If you have creative control, that's one thing, but opening Quark files in InDesign in leu of buying Quark is asinine and a disservice to your customer.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: t-pat on February 08, 2012, 04:34:10 PM
Quote from: frailer on February 08, 2012, 04:19:01 PM

you're just miffed at me because I said I like Housos

this isn't really true is it Frailer?
 :cold1:
vdp donkey

frailer

No, not true. Just social ineptitude on my part. Are you referring to the Paul Fenech show? I'm embarrassed I've not watched it; he's great. But I shall now. Too many things to do these days...

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on February 09, 2012, 05:05:53 PMNo, not true. Just social ineptitude on my part. Are you referring to the Paul Fenech show? I'm embarrassed I've not watched it; he's great. But I shall now. Too many things to do these days...

Yes, Paul Fenech.

Oh good, you haven't (yet) been offended by it. Yes, brilliant show. I also watched several episodes of his show "Pizza". It was good in a low budget slapstick way but Housos is way funnier.

Really reminds me of my childhood there. Well, except without the bits with everyone putting everything on youtube, because I didn't time travel.
vdp donkey

DCurry

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 09, 2012, 04:55:39 PM\ou know, saving back is not really a great idea. You lose all the features built into the newer versions. If said desinger uses drop shadows or any of that other transparency crap, QXD.V4 will drop it out. If you have creative control, that's one thing, but opening Quark files in InDesign in leu of buying Quark is asinine and a disservice to your customer.

Agreed - I wouldn't recommend converting as a way to avoid Quark. As mentioned above, in my case we convert our own old Q files but I'd never do it to a customer's file (I only get files from outside 2-3 times a month.)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

I understand what you're saying, but... and I cross fingers/touch wood here..... not had a Q file lob in in, literally, 3 years. Aussies dropped the BigQ like it had Ebola virus. Every now and then, an off-shore one comes in to our dezingers. I can see why it's a risk-assessment thing. I've got Q7.2, and working (a miracle?) on my iMac still. We're so out of touch I couldn't even tell you what version it's on now.  :shrug: I know for sure they are never going to fork out on more Q. Out of my control. I regard getting permission to get Q2ID as a great achievement.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 09, 2012, 05:59:18 PMI understand what you're saying, but... and I cross fingers/touch wood here..... not had a Q file lob in in, literally, 3 years. Aussies dropped the BigQ like it had Ebola virus. Every now and then, an off-shore one comes in to our dezingers. I can see why it's a risk-assessment thing. I've got Q7.2, and working (a miracle?) on my iMac still. We're so out of touch I couldn't even tell you what version it's on now.  :shrug: I know for sure they are never going to fork out on more Q. Out of my control. I regard getting permission to get Q2ID as a great achievement.

It is kind of like giving someone a gun and you know they are going to shoot themselves eventually. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

On those rare occasions, can only proceed with all the caution I can muster, in blissful consort with Head Girl.   again--->  :shrug:   At least they seem to be supplying PDFs as well these days. Printers' spreads, of course. Ya gotta help poor old prepress.   :sarcasm: