News:

Main Menu

Todays challenge

Started by Joe, March 20, 2013, 01:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

maybe you can place it in there and put the breaks in in indy? hell I dunno, it's going to suck no matter what, right?

Wait isn't there an excel to indy plugin?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Damn, I'd rather do web development than his shit. Can't even get Indy to import the Excel or Word file without it locking up.

Tried saving the Excel doc to a .csv file. Apparently you can't import a .csv into Indy? It's grayed out when I try anyway.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2013, 05:24:17 PMDamn, I'd rather do web development than his shit. Can't even get Indy to import the Excel or Word file without it locking up.

Tried saving the Excel doc to a .csv file. Apparently you can't import a .csv into Indy? It's grayed out when I try anyway.

I can "place" a csv. but haven't tested it for how it works
If you turned on "formatted table" it will be a lot slower, but you may want it this way. I'd suggest making a test excel file that's just the first 5 pages to experiment with first.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2013, 05:24:17 PMDamn, I'd rather do web development than his shit.

Really?

If it's a huge table just give up. Data Merge uses csv but I'm not sure how/if Indy will convert it back to a table, you may stuck with tabs.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Tracy

How many Columns in your excel file?
looks like 3 all the way down except that header

header is 3 columns too.
guess i have to check out the excel file

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on March 20, 2013, 05:26:00 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2013, 05:24:17 PMDamn, I'd rather do web development than his shit. Can't even get Indy to import the Excel or Word file without it locking up.

I can "place" a csv. but haven't tested it for how it works
If you turned on "formatted table" it will be a lot slower, but you may want it this way. I'd suggest making a test excel file that's just the first 5 pages to experiment with first.

Hmmm...it won't let me select a .csv file when I try ti Import.
Yeah, Indy warned me about the formatted table so I turned that off. When I try just importing the first 800 records it does import but it is bringing a table in formatted like the Excel file. I would like it just to bering the text and format it as the text box is setup already. Maybe I am asking for too much. This isn't actually my job but I've been given the task to "make this easier". :shoots_self:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on March 20, 2013, 06:03:39 PMHow many Columns in your excel file?
looks like 3 all the way down except that header

Indy sees it as A through L but there is nothing in several of them. So when I try to export as a CSV it just gives me a comma for A, then after the data in B it gives me ,,,, before it gets to the data in G. Looks like they tried to format it in Excel the way it needs to layout by using blank columns. :banghead:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2013, 06:04:17 PMHmmm...it won't let me select a .csv file when I try ti Import.

Make a text frame and apply it in the Data Merge palette. Then import the csv.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

You have 3 columns!!
You could format 1 line of text and in Data merge you can
set multiple records you would have to play around with the
spacing to get the spacing you want.

I'm not at work but I've done it before.
it looks like your excel file is pretty clean.

Joe

New to data merge. Never used it before. :embarrassed: We don't do data merge for web presses. :laugh:

Tracy

:laugh:
I would totally data merge for you!

gnubler

Data Merge is okay to an extent. Can you predict how many pages this will end up being? Because that's how long your merged Indy file will be. I've had some end up several hundred pages and making a PDF from that takes 4-ever.

Tracy

you should check it out tho.

select your file save as .txt tab delimited
you have to name your columns so you have to insert 1 row above
and you prolly have to get rid of the headline cuz that won't work

format a line a text open the data merge, select your .txt
and you will see your column names
select the first column of the formatted text, then click on the column name in the date merge pallete
then select your 2nd column formatted text then click on column name in data merge, then do the 3rd
then you just go to create merged data and I think its content options.
and in there you will see multiple records.

sorry it's kinda basic, If it's not Hot :laugh: I can do screen shots tomorrow
gotta go now, my anniversary today

Joe

Trying to set the .csv as my data source I get this:

Assuming it is because of the ,,,, in places in the .csv.