News:

Main Menu

New to Freelance

Started by whoami, October 25, 2007, 11:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

So what's the best way to start?  I am looking for some freelance work that I could do on weekends and during my spare time during the week.  What's the best way to get work?  What has worked for you guys?

Gutnbg

I'd be interested in seeing some answers here too, as I've never been able to make a "living on the side" with what I do best. I have, however, found opportunities in "right place, right time" mode. One friend introduced me to a guy who had Photoshop at home, but didn't know the first thing about the bells & whistles other than how to airbrush artifacts, which led to me giving him hours of free training in exchange for possible work down the road that never really materialized. Another time I was hanging out in my favorite coffee shop when the owner said something about doing new menus, flyers etc., and I offered my services there.

So there is work out there to be had, if we knew where and how to look, and were prepared to charge properly for our services.
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

bluekivi

Back when I was freelancing, I made up business cards with my services and handed them out whenever and wherever possible.  It was great for the shops that were busy occasionally to have some extra help but that didn't have enough work to hire more full-timers.  It is amazing how fast word gets around when they find you are reliable.

DCurry

Most of the work I ever got was actually from my job. As a print shop, we don't really design stuff beyond very simple things like letterheads, so once the owners and estimators found out I was any good, they just sub that kind of stuff out to me. It benefits them because they are helping the customer by referring them to a designer, and they are also guaranteed the print work when it is done. Plus, it doesn't take up company time.

You can probably find some freelance work on Craigslist - I always see gigs on there. If you are dealing with strangers (or even people you know, for that matter), get 1/2 the money up front and the balance upon delivery of digital files. A simple contract will not only protect you, but also make you appear more professional.

DO NOT LOWBALL YOUR PRICES JUST TO GET THE WORK! Once you start working on the cheap, you won't be able to raise your price easily. Find out what others in your area are charging and charge similar rates.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: whoami on October 25, 2007, 11:28:39 PMSo what's the best way to start?  I am looking for some freelance work that I could do on weekends and during my spare time during the week.  What's the best way to get work?  What has worked for you guys?

I could refer you to a client I dont have the time for right now if you want to send me your contact through a PM..

repeat newsletter, just swap out copy and images every 3 months...    I just dont have the time to take on another project right now, their regular artist quit recently..   we have been doing a good bit of their printing..

Let me know..   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Chuck_Revised

Has anyone ever tried the internet freelance sites?  For a membership fee (monthly) you can bid on jobs submitted through the website. 

One I looked at was www.contractedwork.com

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Chuck_Revised on October 26, 2007, 12:21:44 PMHas anyone ever tried the internet freelance sites?  For a membership fee (monthly) you can bid on jobs submitted through the website. 

One I looked at was www.contractedwork.com

http://www.prepressforums.com/forum/freelance-professional/8615-will-help-bid-bid.html

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Chuck_Revised

Thanks, Ninja...  That PPF thread and the link are print-oriented.  I'm interested in design/production freelance. 

I'm rather skeptical of the general situation, tho.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Chuck_Revised on October 26, 2007, 01:16:23 PMThanks, Ninja...  That PPF thread and the link are print-oriented.  I'm interested in design/production freelance. 

I'm rather skeptical of the general situation, tho.

yea, I figured the concept was the same..  I'd be skepical too. 

DigitalCrapShoveler

Unfortunately, the best way to get freelance is through your sales force. I hate having to ask them for anything, but I figure they owe me, so ask your least hated sales guy to hook you up, and after he sees that you are more than capable, he will send more your way.

Prepress guys are the best designers for one reason... they actually know what will look good and what will not through experience. I tell designers all day long... You make it look pretty, I will make it print. After so many years, you figure out fast that design is easy, printing is hard.
Member #285 - Civilian

Sparky

After 8 years with the same employer I was able to make friends with several of the customers we had. when the guy sold out and 2 years later the new owner decided I was old baggage, I took every damn customer I could with me. If I were to actually persue the "friendship" I could probably stir enough business to keep me in the $5,000 a month range, but I would need to decide where the line is for quiting the regular job and giving up vacation time, medical benefits (like I have any  :rolleyes: ) and any other benefits from s steady job secure situation. I don't mind punchin' a clock, and the extra work I do on the side pays for the extras in life :grin:
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

johnhodges

It is a right choice to decide do freelance work. In this field no one will compel you any work. enjoy the job. :banana: Go ahead!

gnubler

Is this a bot or what? Saturday morning invasion.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 30, 2011, 01:35:33 PMIs this a bot or what? Saturday morning invasion.

I don't think so. Appears human to me. I could be wrong though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on April 30, 2011, 03:01:13 PM
Quote from: gnubler on April 30, 2011, 01:35:33 PMIs this a bot or what? Saturday morning invasion.

I don't think so. Appears human to me. I could be wrong though.
ESL perhaps?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway