EXE files... view on Mac

Started by frailer, December 17, 2014, 04:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Wanting to view X-Rays of my hand, which I have on disk, (but PC/EXE files), on a Mac. I've downloaded Wine, unPackaged it, but can't see an app that I can drag into Applications.
Most likely a PICNIC problem, but any pointers on this one? Alternatives to Wine?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Made in Taiwan

Not much experience with fruity computers here, but I think you can use Virtualbox to set up a Windows machine inside of OS X. Parallels desktop might be another alternative.

What's wrong with your hand, by the way? Hope it'll get well soon!
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on December 17, 2014, 04:03:03 AM
Wanting to view X-Rays of my hand, which I have on disk, (but PC/EXE files), on a Mac. I've downloaded Wine, unPackaged it, but can't see an app that I can drag into Applications.
Most likely a PICNIC problem, but any pointers on this one? Alternatives to Wine?

Wine is all about containers. Create a new container, call it what you want, and open it. When it's open, you have to install the EXE file within the container. I use it all the time. I usually move the container I named somewhere other than the default place within the Wine folder. That could be your problem.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Or open it on your Windows server at work.

And yeah, inquiring minds want to know the details.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 17, 2014, 11:12:34 AMOr open it on your Windows server at work.

And yeah, inquiring minds want to know the details.
Shall post up when successful. Dislocation 2nd joint, L index finger.   :homer:   On a bicycle ride with 4 others, transiting through back of new industrial estate last saturday. Wasn't 'paying attention', guy in front slowed/swerved for upcoming road chicane. Homer didn't anticipate it.
As I landed in the greenery in the chicane bay, coulda been OK, but finger end-on into concrete edge. I can see it in slow-mo now....

Images to follow, for entertainment.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

That's the bike you have the camera mounted on right? We want video! :rotf:

DigitalCrapShoveler

:shoots_self:
Quote from: Joe on December 17, 2014, 04:44:39 PMThat's the bike you have the camera mounted on right? We want video! :rotf:

Ditto.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

:hello:   Shall try and Handbrake it tomorrow, extract in Quicktime. Just for you guys, cos you're special.
Will it go viral, do you think?

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 17, 2014, 05:28:30 PM:hello:  Shall try and Handbrake it tomorrow, extract in Quicktime. Just for you guys, cos you're special.
Will it go viral, do you think?

I've been called special before...but not in a nice way. :rotf:

Viral? Depends on how funny you look on the way down. ;D

frailer

haha... yeah, and you have special customers in that same way, hey?

The guys who make the tail-light camera are doing a handlebar one. Now that would have been funny.

frailer

DCS, here is the wine-10.6.2 folder contents. Missing something? If not, where to from here?

Joe

I think that is source code that has to be compiled by you. What I think you need is the binary application.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/files/latest/download

Joe

Well that sucked. The above link is a 500 mb download and then the install fails on both OS X 10.10.1 and OS X 10.6.8.

I revert back to my earlier suggestion. Take it to work and open it on a windows PC there. :D

Joe

Well scratch that. After about 5 attempts it installed and created the Wine app in the applications folder. When you run that it will tell you that you have to install X11 for it to work but X11 is no longer included with OS X so you have to install XQuartz.

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/

Joe

OK, after getting both of those things installed it works great. With Wine running you can click the Start button and navigate to your Mac desktop and run the .exe from there. You don't have to copy it into the Wine Windows virtual file system.