Installation Crash / Unexpected Quit in OSX 10.5.8

Started by Fontaholic, April 21, 2015, 09:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Can I ask what you are running on OS9? And what is XP being used for? Both OS's are horribly outdated.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on April 21, 2015, 01:00:00 PMCan I ask what you are running on OS9? And what is XP being used for? Both OS's are horribly outdated.

Our RIP software is on the OS9 Mac.

The PC Server is on the Windows XP machine, which communicates with the OS9 Mac via MacInTalk (which won't run on any PC system later than XP as far as I know).

In both instances, Da Boss and his wife, Miss Management, don't want to invest any more money than is absolutely necessary into the computer systems or software here. (That's why I use RIP software than only operates on an OS9 platform, and have Creative Suite 4.)  Business and profits have been steadily declining for the past few years -- quite frankly, I'm surprised we're still open/in business -- and their bean counter perpetually points his finger at prepress as the leading source of revenue loss for the company.

I keep telling them that XP-based PC's are a bad idea these days, but they don't want to hear it.

Lately, by the end of most days, I ask myself why I haven't dusted off my resumé and seen what else is out there.  Then I remind myself that I'm sick and tired of the printing industry and burnt out on all its attendant bullshit.

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

David

Quote from: Fontaholic on April 21, 2015, 01:39:04 PMThen I remind myself that I'm sick and tired of the printing industry and burnt out on all its attendant bullshit.

ah, so you're a newbie eh?
I was burnt out 30 years ago...    now I am a shell of my former self, burnt beyond recognition.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Fontaholic on April 21, 2015, 01:39:04 PM
Quote from: Joe on April 21, 2015, 01:00:00 PMCan I ask what you are running on OS9? And what is XP being used for? Both OS's are horribly outdated.

Our RIP software is on the OS9 Mac.

The PC Server is on the Windows XP machine, which communicates with the OS9 Mac via MacInTalk (which won't run on any PC system later than XP as far as I know).

In both instances, Da Boss and his wife, Miss Management, don't want to invest any more money than is absolutely necessary into the computer systems or software here. (That's why I use RIP software than only operates on an OS9 platform, and have Creative Suite 4.)  Business and profits have been steadily declining for the past few years -- quite frankly, I'm surprised we're still open/in business -- and their bean counter perpetually points his finger at prepress as the leading source of revenue loss for the company.

I keep telling them that XP-based PC's are a bad idea these days, but they don't want to hear it.

Lately, by the end of most days, I ask myself why I haven't dusted off my resumé and seen what else is out there.  Then I remind myself that I'm sick and tired of the printing industry and burnt out on all its attendant bullshit.

Cheers,

You could downgrade that newish iMac to an old used G3 and everything should work fantastically together. :sarcasm:

I can send your owners a G3 and $100 cash for that iMac if they are interested.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Fontaholic

Quote from: david on April 21, 2015, 02:19:51 PMah, so you're a newbie eh?
I was burnt out 30 years ago...    now I am a shell of my former self, burnt beyond recognition.

You are not alone...  :-/

Cheers,

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on April 21, 2015, 03:26:00 PM
Quote from: Fontaholic on April 21, 2015, 01:39:04 PM
Quote from: Joe on April 21, 2015, 01:00:00 PMYou could downgrade that newish iMac to an old used G3 and everything should work fantastically together. :sarcasm:

I can send your owners a G3 and $100 cash for that iMac if they are interested.

My "owners"?  How... appropriate.

Cheers,