Exporting to pdf to reduce total ink coverage

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, June 29, 2015, 02:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Possum on June 30, 2015, 02:20:24 PMDoesn't Pitstop have a "Pop" setting? As in, "make it pop?"

That's Publisher and you forgot the other "o" in the middle of that word.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

abc

Just a note about this approach. Be a little careful what content you use it on and what quality of work.

You are going through an ICC conversion which means in the background the process is: source profile > LAB > target profile.
you might see color shifts and in the case of Black text it will end up a 4-Color build.

If you confine it to images you only have to worry about the color shift (unless they are grey or K only).
As Matt said a Devicelink is normally the way to handle these issues. That's the technology all ink savers/color servers are built-on.

If you using a Devicelink then flatten transparency first. Live transparency and a devicelink conversion normally lead to issues.

Tracy

yeah, adjusting for ink density is touchy, and you definitely don't want to do it with .jpg compression
must be zip compression, any possibilities of a webinar?
couldn't make todays, too busy but will watch the video :)

motormount

Quote from: abc on July 01, 2015, 09:54:41 AMIf you using a Devicelink then flatten transparency first. Live transparency and a devicelink conversion normally lead to issues.

I do it from time to time without flattening, didn't notice any problems but haven't been warned to look out for possible problems either.

I'll go and check some previous jobs first!

Made in Taiwan

You can try converting to a profile called "IsoNewspaper26v4.icc". Maximum total ink coverage is 240%.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

swampymarsh

Quote from: Made in Taiwan on July 02, 2015, 05:43:45 PMYou can try converting to a profile called "IsoNewspaper26v4.icc". Maximum total ink coverage is 240%.

I would only recommend this if the output was actually a news press condition. The TVI/dot gain and grey balance would be hosed if this was for a sheet fed condition on good paper and a newsprint profile was used to simply lower total ink. There are other options out there if one needs to reduce total ink limits.

Going back to the original post, the colour conversions in Acrobat Pro offer targeted conversions of objects and colour modes while additionally offering "devicelink-like" abilities for preserving primaries and mapping black for vectors and text while using standard ICC profiles. The InDesign colour conversion approach is a very rough and ready tool in comparison... When it comes to colour conversions, Acrobat Pro is like a surgeon's scalpel, while InDesign is like a machete.

pspdfppdfxhd

well, the job got printed, no complaints, and in review, what i did, was to select  each image with the pitstop selection tool and convert the profile to a standard photoshop uncoated profile.... sometimes this meant selecting, converting, then hiding the selectiion, then picking the next one down, because it had many layers of transparency. converting and so on. the text was not a factor so no 4c text. 

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on July 04, 2015, 07:00:53 PMwell, the job got printed, no complaints, and in review, what i did, was to select  each image with the pitstop selection tool and convert the profile to a standard photoshop uncoated profile.... sometimes this meant selecting, converting, then hiding the selectiion, then picking the next one down, because it had many layers of transparency. converting and so on. the text was not a factor so no 4c text.

Where there is a will there is a way!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on July 04, 2015, 09:44:35 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfx on July 04, 2015, 07:00:53 PMwell, the job got printed, no complaints, and in review, what i did, was to select  each image with the pitstop selection tool and convert the profile to a standard photoshop uncoated profile.... sometimes this meant selecting, converting, then hiding the selectiion, then picking the next one down, because it had many layers of transparency. converting and so on. the text was not a factor so no 4c text.

yeah, have to talk to my 85 year old dad about this, with nothing much but the government pension going on, his WILL is important!

Where there is a will there is a way!