News:

Main Menu

Guide to Prepress

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, January 20, 2012, 03:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

No way would a custy pop in a CD to find out out how to prepare their crap files.

Is this stuff on your website?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

ok - don't send me a PICTURE of an envelope. (you know these people - they send you a file with what looks like the envelope looks when it is converted, glued and folded, with lines or something that indicate the flap folded over the back and the side seams tucked in.) WTF do you think, I have some magical software that will unfold your concept of the envelope and magically put it all back together as a flat?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on January 20, 2012, 04:56:58 PMNo way would a custy pop in a CD to find out out how to prepare their crap files.

Is this stuff on your website?

No, but it can be once I'm finished.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on January 20, 2012, 04:58:40 PMok - don't send me a PICTURE of an envelope. (you know these people - they send you a file with what looks like the envelope looks when it is converted, glued and folded, with lines or something that indicate the flap folded over the back and the side seams tucked in.) WTF do you think, I have some magical software that will unfold your concept of the envelope and magically put it all back together as a flat?

Seen that one, too. I hate envelopes.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Damn, that is a nice effort.

Someone here started one something like this about 3 years ago. Still waiting to see it. In the meantime though, here is mine:

"Send PDF!"
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I've still have to do a fonts section, but I am also going to include this:

Applications

Applications can be broke down into three different catergories. Layout, Vector and Raster. What are the differences? Read on.

Layout: Layout applications are used to create multiple page documents where you as the designer would typeset and compile data from other applications. This is the type of application you would use for laying out catalogs, brochures, etc.

Examples: Quark XPress, InDesign and PageMaker.

Vector: Vector applications are mainly used for single page layout, and the creation of vector art that would be exported in a suitable file format and placed into a Layout program. Vector, by example reacts very similiar to fonts. You can scale an object in vector format as small or as large as you like without quality loss. Be mindful that when mixing bitmaps and vector images within a vector application, you will need to make sure your bitmaps can accomodate size increases since they are pixel based. See Raster.

Examples: Freehand, Illustrator and CorelDraw

Raster: Raster are images comprised of pixels or colored squares. These pixels, depending on resolution are very small in size and trick the viewer into seeing a continous-tone image, like a photograph. When the resolution of a bitmap image is too low, you get pixelization, or "stairstepping." Stairstepping is the prepress slang word for the choppy uneven look a circle or curve will display at a 1 to 1 viewing ratio. To avoid pixelization, make your resolution twice the linescreen being used. For example, if the linescreen your printer uses is 150, then your resolution must be 300 dots per inch, 175 would be 350 DPI. For a more comprehensive review of raster images, see File Formats.

Examples: Photoshop, Photopaint
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Me too. Envelopes suck. We have a stupid little Jet Press (actually a little offset duplicator specifically for envelopes) and we also print flat and send out for conversion. When printed flat, I have to download the conversion sheet and get the stupid little dots on the press sheet, position, etc...

I hate everything about doing envelopes. They take four times as long as anything twice their size. Also have to image a 4 out plate and cut down for the little env press, which means getting exact stupid position for the 1000 stupid sizes of of numbers and baronial and monarch and what the hell ever crap size of envelope people think they want to make them feel unique. Did I mention I hate envelopes? /rant
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 05:10:05 PMDamn, that is a nice effort.

Someone here started one something like this about 3 years ago. Still waiting to see it. In the meantime though, here is mine:

"Send PDF!"

:lmao:  :goodpost:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2012, 05:10:05 PMDamn, that is a nice effort.

"Send PDF!"

Simple enough. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

DCS, you care too much.

I stopped writing guides like that about 7 years ago. Nobody else cares so why should I?

Is it worth it?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on January 20, 2012, 05:13:39 PMDCS, you care too much.

I stopped writing guides like that about 7 years ago. Nobody else cares so why should I?

Is it worth it?

Doesn't matter. I have been given a task, I will complete it. Management can decide what to do with it when I'm done. I get paid by the hour. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: Earendil on January 20, 2012, 05:12:11 PMMe too. Envelopes suck. We have a stupid little Jet Press (actually a little offset duplicator specifically for envelopes) and we also print flat and send out for conversion. When printed flat, I have to download the conversion sheet and get the stupid little dots on the press sheet, position, etc...

I hate everything about doing envelopes. They take four times as long as anything twice their size. Also have to image a 4 out plate and cut down for the little env press, which means getting exact stupid position for the 1000 stupid sizes of of numbers and baronial and monarch and what the hell ever crap size of envelope people think they want to make them feel unique. Did I mention I hate envelopes? /rant

lol I do them in my sleep now - I even *like* commercial envelopes (diagonal side seam) like this beauty. Not one whole number in any of the angles.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Ear

Is it worth it?

You wrote a guide?  :laugh:

Gnubler's Guide to Apathy:

Chapter 1: How to... meh, fuck it...  :sleepy:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Here's another section...

Applications Accepted

Below is a list of applications currently used. Of course, most printers discourage any files built in Microsoft applications, i.e. Word, Excel and Publisher, but some do accept them.

Adobe InDesign
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe PageMaker
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Freehand, formerly Macromedia Freehand
Quark Xpress
CorelDraw
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Publisher

We accept all versions past and present. We strive to stay current on all applications, call if you have any concerns or doubts about the application you are using.

We offer technical support free to all existing customers regarding software and printing issues. If you have any questions or problems, call us, the only stupid question is the one you do not ask.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 05:15:02 PM

Is it worth it?

Doesn't matter. I have been given a task, I will complete it. Management can decide what to do with it when I'm done. I get paid by the hour. :laugh:

You should insist on getting paid by the word on that project!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.