Barcode Files

Started by Tracy, January 30, 2015, 10:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I got a quote from a Barcode Label Printer
I just needed the files created into 1-up pdfs
I gave him a logo to put on.
It was 5000 records and he was going to lay them out
which I could do myself with quite imposing.
His quote was $340 just for the files, does that seem high?
I do some variable date and I know it only takes a few
minutes with the right tools.

DCurry

Yes, but your vendor has invested in the right tools!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

So that is a good price?

DCurry

Seems high to me, but I don't know what's involved. I'd certainly shop around, if you can find someone else who can do it. At least then you'd know if it's reasonable. I would think there would be an online service that could supply the barcodes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

Found a place for $100, much better!
the other guy told me that he new it was high
but that's their minimum.

Thanks for your input.

Tracy

Hey D
What kind of program is used for the barcodes, I think it's called a 128 Barcode?

DCurry

That price seems much more reasonable.

I'm sure there are several programs that can do that. Years ago I used BarCode Pro and you could feed it a text file with all your required barcode digits and it would batch produce the barcodes.

GinsTonic

Heya, 1st time post, thought I'd throw my $0.10 in the mix...

I've used software called BarTender - it's primarily aimed at logistics, but it worked well enough. Quite flexible about the technical aspects required for the barcode (check digits, code language, Type A, B or C etc). You can download a free trial which works perfectly fine for a limited time.

It does batch files too. The biggest I've done was 50,000 unique QR codes, took a couple of hours on a crusty old PC but had no problems with the final product.

David

I have used Bra Code Pro in the past (for years), but sadly I never got upgraded to have it run on OS X.
I now have a copy of Bartender (on my PC). It works well, not to hard to learn.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DCurry

Bra Code Pro? That sounds way more interesting!

At my last job, I,too, kept an old OS 9 machine running just for BarCodePro.

David

well, it's a special code, used only on bras, for the bra industry. Not like the code for panties or slips.

stupid fat fingers... oh, and the fact that the brain is slightly slower than the fat fingers.   :drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca