Indigo 7600 stability

Started by jesdlg@gmail.com, May 15, 2015, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesdlg@gmail.com

I recently started work at a commercial printing plant using an Indigo 7600.  I've noticed that the press is breaking down pretty often and it sounds like that as well as print consistency has been an issue for a few months or longer.

Has anyone else had consistent issues with the 7600 going down?

gig0

quick question just to get it out of the way; is your environmental conditions stable and within spec?
Prinergy Evo <option 8> Colorproof XF <option 8> Epson 7800's (shut up) <option 8> Screen Platerite 4200 & Lotem 400  <option 8> Various Konica & OCE digital printers

jesdlg@gmail.com

I don't know what the specs are for this press yet. I have zero experience in digital printing; I've spent the past four years in flexo, screen, and litho. For those types of presses, the environmental factors would be a no-go.  I'll get formal training from HP at some point, but for now I'm just the noob prepress jocky.

This company is just breaking out into printing, basically. They've been using a Ricoh 901 the past several years, but they've mostly been a mailing place.

gig0

OK, if you are looking for stability, you need to start by establishing a  controlled environment. Temps and stock need to remain at a constant rated temperature. Think of it as the foundation if you're pouring concrete footers. Does your environment meet this criteria? If yes, then on to the next question.
Prinergy Evo <option 8> Colorproof XF <option 8> Epson 7800's (shut up) <option 8> Screen Platerite 4200 & Lotem 400  <option 8> Various Konica & OCE digital printers

jesdlg@gmail.com

Makes sense; I'll start from there Monday and see how it goes. Thanks for the input. :)

Made in Taiwan

If you search the internet, most of the people are speaking quite positive about the Indigo in terms of output quality, some even stating that it's the best in digital printing. So the machine seems to usually work quite well if it has everything it needs.

I've never been operating an Indigo , but I can say from other digital presses that they'll break down or have paper jams more frequently once it's getting more humid or the temperature changes. And like gig0 already said, if temperature or humidity have changed, your output might be different.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

jesdlg@gmail.com

I hadn't thought enough about environmental factors; you guys are totally right. Where I'm from in Arizona, we mostly worried about dust and a LACK of humidity so here in WA, I just thought, "well that's not the problem here." Heh.  It's definitely been getting warmer, however, and this press is basically sitting in a warehouse with no insulation, or temp control, and the garage doors are open when it's warm. 
The press is cleaned often, and the prints look good but consistency on repeat jobs is a problem and the machine's been going haywire lately.  Environment is a good place to start. Thanks!

Joe

I can't imagine those issues getting any better if they leave it in those conditions.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Yeah, if you do any reading on the Indigos in particular they're very reliant on proper environment. Temp, humidity and overall air quality play a huge part in not just their color consistency & uptime, but just whether they stay running at all! I'd be shocked if HP installed one in a location that didn't have a closed room with proper AC/heat and ventilation honestly.

They're fantastic machines, they seem to take a lot of operator upkeep to stay running reliably, also the reason why Indigo operators are required to be trained by HP directly. Now, if they bought a second-hand press & are winging it - all bets are off & God help you!

:popcorn:

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums too!  ;D
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

jesdlg@gmail.com

Yeah, I don't know how they came by it, but HP just spent two days out here trying to get out to run. Our operator is hp trained, but the standby operator is not. When I was hired, they mentioned sending me to training as well.
I think I've ended up with one of those "bit off more than you can chew" scenarios, but I'll figure it out. The people running the company sounded like they're interested in my input, which is like a prepress miracle if they stick by it lol.

And thanks! I've been lurking the past couple of years and it's been helpful with my last job.  :)

Farabomb

It's amazing how so many people think that environment doesn't matter. HVAC was created for printing to control the environment to make things stable and repeatable.

It's a constant battle here but it's been getting better.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Any of those "digital presses" need environmental coddling, but the Indigos may be especially particular. Not only should the machine be kept in a controlled environment, but the stock also. Proper humidity can be especially important. I have seen users who just love them and rate them as very reliable, so if you get this baby set up properly, it may really do well.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

Quote from: Farabomb on May 18, 2015, 07:33:13 AMIt's amazing how so many people think that environment doesn't matter. HVAC was created for printing to control the environment to make things stable and repeatable.
Our iGen sits right out on the pressroom floor, no special room or environmental controls at all. Shocking that it's constantly down huh?  :rotf:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

jesdlg@gmail.com

Quote from: Slappy on May 18, 2015, 10:19:26 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on May 18, 2015, 07:33:13 AMIt's amazing how so many people think that environment doesn't matter. HVAC was created for printing to control the environment to make things stable and repeatable.
Our iGen sits right out on the pressroom floor, no special room or environmental controls at all. Shocking that it's constantly down huh?  :rotf:

Yup, that's how ours is. Someone just handed me a binder today with some info on Smartstream and the HP pro print server and said something to the effect of "the last prepress person controlled a bunch of stuff with this and no one knows what or how."  Looking through it, I'm realizing two things:
1) I need to get way more IT oriented, and
2) I need training. Most of the stuff in this binder references things that don't make a lot of sense without explanation. Also realized most of this binder is for SS 4.6 when we're on 6.0.  O.o

Possum

Yeah, the last person did it, so you figure it out. A couple of days later - "why can't you do so I so? I gave you the book." Been there, done that.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.