News:

Main Menu

Fusion Pro VDP job

Started by DigiCorn, September 04, 2013, 12:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 12, 2013, 01:07:58 PMI don't want to bother Dan Korn with a simple request, but I've searched the forums at PTI and re-read the manual and I can't find a walkthrough on how to place an inline graphic into a VDP box. Do any FP users out there know how to do this?

It's been a while and I no longer have FP to try it out on, but I seem to remember that first you need to define the graphic as a resource, then write a rule that returns the resource (it was a very simple rule - something like "return signature.tif"), then place the rule within your text box wherever you want it to appear.

I remember doing this with a signature, so it would flow with the text. Sorry I can't be more specific!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

If I wasn't stressed out by 1,000 other problems at work and at home, I'd have time to really feel stupid. It's a text rule, that says this:

return Resource("Image.pdf")

Then insert the rule into your variable text string.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 12, 2013, 01:07:58 PMI don't want to bother Dan Korn with a simple request

And you would be bothering him...no request is simple. You'd be attacked with a string of forum rules, Nazi-esque ettiquette protocols, and snooty retorts.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

I'm pretty sure Dan Korn has irreparable hemorrhoids and his wife is always on the rag
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I think he lives in Chicagoland. Maybe Skryber can go "visit" him for us.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

I have a customer we regular do postal mailings for. They provide two columns in their excel spreadsheet for zip code: one for the standard zip, and one for the plus four zip. Not every field has the plus four data, so I wrote a rule to add a hyphen and plus four data only when it exists:

Quoteif ((Field("Location ZIP Code") != "") && (Field("Location ZIP+4") != ""))
return Field("Location ZIP Code")+"-"+Field("Location ZIP+4");
else if ((Field("Location ZIP Code") != "") && Field("Location ZIP+4") == "")
return Field("Location ZIP Code");

I have to find the last job and create and cut and paste this rule each time. Is there a way to save it to my rules list and make it *permanent* so it's always there?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

I miss the simple days of vdp apps that only did simple stuff.

Here's about 30% of the job I'm building:

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

so, that's just for the 4 page cover, right?

:lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

turns out you have to create a custom XML template rule in the Plug-ins/TemplateXML folder
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Thanks for the posts.

It shows why printing sucks and why modern life sucks, in general.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 05, 2013, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: gnubler on September 04, 2013, 04:20:41 PMHe's a real prick.  :laugh:  Someone post a dump of his sig again, it's so anal it's DVDA.

Quote__________________
Dan Korn
FusionPro Developer / JavaScript Guru / Forum Moderator
PTI Marketing Technologies | Printable Technologies

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to MarcomCentral in the MarcomCentral forum. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});

When are you sissies When are you sissies gonna give his dumb ass a hard time for this?
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

gnubler

Um, we've reamed his ass several times. You haven't been around. That fuck is worse than I ever was at the height of my caring about spelling and grammar.

As I've said for years, anyone who refers to themself as a 'guru' is a dick. Case closed.