Adding a pdf to our website

Started by Lumpy, March 24, 2011, 04:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Hey Everyone,

I would like to add a pdf to our website. I want people to click on a link and have the pdf open in another window.
I can't get this to work. Does the pdf need to be in its own "pdfs" folder, or can it just go in the "images" folder like all the other images for the website?
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

The site manager I use at work PDFs go in a 'documents' folder.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Lumpy

I'm not using any Site Manager thingy, I have to modify the existing code, then upload to our ftp site. I've checked other sites source codes and I can't figure out how everybody does it. "Turd Polisher"? Thats good! :lmao:

Joe

You can put it anywhere you like but it's up to the users browser whether it opens in the browser or saves as a file. The browser has to to have the Acrobat extension installed to view the PDF. That works for Safari and IE. For Firefox I think there is a plug-in you have to install. Not sure about Chrome. As the web site operator...it's really out of your hands.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

The option to have a link open in a new window though is:

<a href="http://www.quackit.com/html/html_help.cfm" target="_blank">HTML Help</a>
The "magic" is the target="_blank" which will make it open in a new window or tab.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: Lumpy on March 24, 2011, 04:48:58 PM...I have to modify the existing code, then upload to our ftp site.
Code is my weakness...  :embarrassed:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Lumpy

Thanks Joe and Sabrina.  :lmao: Turd Polisher. I love that!

johnhodges

Just test if it is working.
Upload your pdf file to server... and add these line to your website.
<a href="yourfile.pdf">open pdf</a>.