Next OS Sierra will drop support for many 07-09 Macs

Started by Possum, June 13, 2016, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc

We'll start testing with the developer version today, then we'll see what they've broken this time.
This new file system they are talking about sounds like a big change, but that won't be released till next year.
I expect that to break a few things so we'll have to dig into it.
http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/13/apple-file-system-apfs/

DCurry

Quote from: Possum on June 13, 2016, 01:46:14 PMBetter make sure you can go backwards if you need to. I really have doubts about CS5 running on El Capitan, let alone Sierra.

I know. I have Time Machine, but I don't trust it for this endeavor so I made a separate bootable clone and tested it to make sure I can boot from it. My brother-in-law upgraded to Yosemite a while back and it completely destroyed his Time Machine backup so he lost everything. I've got 13 years of digital photos of my kids so I can't allow that to happen (I do have some offsite backups, but I will update them before proceeding - can't be too careful!)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2016, 01:14:00 PM
QuoteThe older hardware had a pretty good run, but it's always sad when the end of a computer's useful life is dictated by Apple rather than by the user who bought the machine.

OK it isn't the end of a computer's life dictated by Apple. No one makes you (the author) upgrade to the latest OS. I hear there are still people running Snow Leopard! :rotf:

That's funny, I do remember a post about how one of your windows boxes decided to upgrade to 10 over the weekend.

And people wonder why I shut off auto update on all of my devices.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Thats the thing....I did not have auto update turned on (and never do) when it updated Win 7 to Win 10 overnight. And it has now happened on three different PC's at work. We have some PC's on the presses running Vista. I wish to hell they would auto update. ;D

I've never seen a Mac auto update to the next major release. Yet anyway.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Thanks, that was the first thing I did was shut off auto update on the new Win7 box. If I walked in and it updated to 10 by itself I'd loose my shit.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I think the problem is that Microsoft lists the Win 10 upgrade under 'recommended updates'. When a user shuts down the computer the option to install updates and shutdown is automatically selected. Boom. Next time it is booted up it has Windows 10. I know that has happened on at least two of the PC's that got 'auto' updated.

Farabomb

I shut off all updates. No download in background, no nothing. I'll go around about once a month and update everything manually.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 14, 2016, 08:45:42 AMI shut off all updates. No download in background, no nothing. I'll go around about once a month and update everything manually.

That should work. I have ours set to download but not to update until told. Unfortunately our users do not read anything. Purely click and go. Then claim later they didn't do anything.

Possum

Well, if Windows recommends it, of course you go ahead.

:sarcasm:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

I had a vendor in here last week installing new software. That's part of the reason I had to get a new box. As she's instructing us on the install and dialogs are coming up she says "just click ok through it all, I never read them". I told her hell no, I'm not blindly clicking. Yeah, there were at least 2 bloatware things jammed in there.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2016, 01:14:00 PM
QuoteThe older hardware had a pretty good run, but it's always sad when the end of a computer's useful life is dictated by Apple rather than by the user who bought the machine.

OK it isn't the end of a computer's life dictated by Apple. No one makes you (the author) upgrade to the latest OS. I hear there are still people running Snow Leopard! :rotf:
Two machines here running it, old apps that were never updated for the newer OS.

Ear

'07-'09 iMac here... today... My new 27", 5k Retina, i7, Flash drive iMac should arrive by Tuesday.  :banana: I am standing beside myself
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

wonderings

Quote from: Ear on November 18, 2016, 02:47:15 PM'07-'09 iMac here... today... My new 27", 5k Retina, i7, Flash drive iMac should arrive by Tuesday.  :banana: I am standing beside myself

Enjoy the new machine! The downside is you will never be able to use a lesser monitor. So sharp and clear!

Farabomb

Between the SSD and the 5k, you can never go back. The drive makes a world of difference.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I went with the smaller (512gb), Flash drive (instead of the Fusion drive), based on stuff I had read... some of it here... about the Flash drive being a lot faster, with the configuration I am getting. 

It's a October 2015 release, refurb. Has 16gb of RAM but I'll probably put at least another 16 in. I was reading that this model is capable of accepting 64gb of ram, if configured correctly.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black