Downgrading from 10.10 Yosemite to 10.8 ML - difficult?

Started by andyfest, February 08, 2016, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

I upgraded my mid-2008 Mac Pro laptop from 10.6 SL to 10.10 last summer and have kinda regretted it ever since. Start-ups take forever and there is a definite lag in every operation compared to the old OS. It's probably due to the age of the machine. I'd like to downgrade to 10.8 ML and see if that runs things a little better, but am unsure of what's involved. I have the ML installer app from work, but will that work when 10.10 is installed now? 
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on February 08, 2016, 11:21:35 AMI upgraded my mid-2008 Mac Pro laptop from 10.6 SL to 10.10 last summer and have kinda regretted it ever since. Start-ups take forever and there is a definite lag in every operation compared to the old OS. It's probably due to the age of the machine. I'd like to downgrade to 10.8 ML and see if that runs things a little better, but am unsure of what's involved. I have the ML installer app from work, but will that work when 10.10 is installed now?

I don't think you can downgrade the OS to a lower level. You would probably have to boot to a boot disk, erase the hard disk and install fresh.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

I suppose that I could restore from a Time Machine b-up and fill in the blanks from there. Prob have to export iTunes and photos though. Ugh - starting to sound like a PITA.

Santa

You can't restore a newer Time Machine Back i.e Yosemite on an older OS. i.e.. Mavericks.  If you have an old Mavericks time machine back up you could restore to that...but you would loose everything you have done since.

Your startup issues are probably more hardware related than software related. That guy has an intel core 2 duo processor and maxed out at 4gb or ram. You might even have 2 gb's in there.  

My 2 cents you may be asking for more troubles than it's worth.

Joe

Quote from: Santa on February 08, 2016, 12:43:41 PMYou can't restore a newer Time Machine Back i.e Yosemite on an older OS. i.e.. Mavericks.  If you have an old Mavericks time machine back up you could restore to that...but you would loose everything you have done since.

Your startup issues are probably more hardware related than software related. That guy has an intel core 2 duo processor and maxed out at 4gb or ram. You might even have 2 gb's in there. 

My 2 cents you may be asking for more troubles than it's worth.

Agreed. Plus ML is close to being too old.

Farabomb

Snow leopard works just fine thank you.

Unless you want to run the newest Pitstop.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 08, 2016, 01:48:18 PMSnow leopard works just fine thank you.

Unless you want to run the newest Pitstop any software.

Fixed. :rotf:

Farabomb

Not yet.

Give it about a year and I'll get back to you.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

I do have a TimeMach b-up with the last OS (either SL or ML) somewhere at home, but first I'm going to check and see how much RAM is installed. I have an identical laptop with a bad logic board so I can maybe steal the RAM out of it to upgrade my good laptop and see if that helps. Right now I can make a pot of coffee while it starts up, log in and then drink a cup while the Finder spools up.  ???