Are there still viable copies of Quark Xpress 6 out there??

Started by Fontaholic, November 20, 2014, 11:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

Bit of a long-shot here, but I figured if anyone would know, they'd be on here...

I'm looking for a viable copy of Quark Xpress 6 for the Macintosh for a friend of mine.  Her copy recently bought the farm and she's not crazy about spending the $$$ to upgrade to Quark 10, especially since she's leery of having to learn a bunch of new commands, etc.  (I know...)

Anybody have good leads for this?  Or do I just go looking on eBay, Amazon, craigslist, etc.?  And what would be considered a fair price these days?

Cheers, John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Joe

Amazon has it starting at $184.00. Not sure I would trust it can be activated though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000A1GQ0/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Personally I would need at least $200 to take it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

I have to ask though how her copy "recently bought the farm" and it can't just be re-installed? Plus if I remember correctly I couldn't get Quark 6 to run on OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10 so be leery of that.

Farabomb

I have never had software just die on me where reinstallation doesn't fix it.

I installed Age of Mythology 2 days ago because I was bored and to worked just fine.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

I think you can still download it, you just need your license?

Possum

Contact Quark. As long as she still has her license number, there should be a download somewhere, even if you have to call customer service to find out where it is on the website.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Fontaholic

Quote from: Possum on November 24, 2014, 09:50:37 AMContact Quark. As long as she still has her license number, there should be a download somewhere, even if you have to call customer service to find out where it is on the website.

It was *cough* acquired through certain avenues back in the day... *ahem*

Fontaholic

And her new laptop runs OSX 10.9.4, so this might be a moot point because of what someone else said about Quark 6 not running on an OS later than 10.6...

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Fontaholic on November 26, 2014, 10:09:16 AMAnd her new laptop runs OSX 10.9.4, so this might be a moot point because of what someone else said about Quark 6 not running on an OS later than 10.6...

Yeah, Quark 6 or 7 won't run on 10.9.x. I do have Quark 8 running on it though.

Fontaholic

Quote from: Possum on November 26, 2014, 10:16:02 AMYeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up for that.

I hardly ever get my hopes up for anything these days...

Slappy

Quote from: Fontaholic on November 26, 2014, 10:09:16 AMAnd her new laptop runs OSX 10.9.4, so this might be a moot point because of what someone else said about Quark 6 not running on an OS later than 10.6...

So she gets a newer, legit version of Quark, then uses that tool they released to bring old files forward & everything's peachy!

(Except for the whole still working in Quark thing, but oh well.)
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on November 26, 2014, 06:32:56 PM

So she gets a newer, legit version of Quark, then uses that tool they released to bring old files forward & everything's peachy!

(Except for the whole still working in Quark thing, but oh well.)

Yes be she doesn't want to "having to learn a bunch of new commands".