Folding issues

Started by Farabomb, May 26, 2015, 09:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

So I wasn't paying attention and set up a PB job as 16 page forms instead of parallel 8's. Seems when there are jobs with many cross overs we do them as parallel 8's. The bindery guy can't give me a straight answer as to why we do this. He tells me that yea it helps some times and doesn't in others.

What does everyone else do? Is it really that some folding patterns are better than others or is there a way to impose jobs (creep and other things) to compensate for the issues?

We are a sheetfed shop but I won't discount wise words from the web world. It seems we have 1000000000000 ways to do something and I'm looking to trim down things to just a few to lessen issues post press.

Or am I just screwed and printing is just a pain in the ass?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Here, most of our PB work is phone books without crossovers but in a previous life doing national mags like Good Housekeeping, Cosmo, Woman's Day etc...the crossovers were critical. This was in the days of film stripping. We would pull all crossover pages 1/16" away from gutter to help with crossover matching up in the printed books. Most of our sigs were 48 pages but we had some also that could get as large as 72 pages but we did this for all pages from 4 page sigs all the way up to 72 page sigs. Seemed to work well and it had to as the last thing you want to see is an ad complaint from a national Cosmetic ad.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about Joe. We do the programs for fashion and jewelry awards and heaven help you if it's off a little.

It's more an issue of the up and down alignment of the crossovers. Our customers and the boss are fine with the text pages not being exactly perfect as you would have to break the spine. I was thinking if there was a way to compensate for the folding like there is with creep. Shifting the image slightly to lessen the effect of folding.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Somewhat related, when you bind a perfect bound book, what's the standard grindoff? Normally it's an .125 (.25 total) but we just had one that has .0625 (.125 total).

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Are your whole pages off up and down, like the top or bottom of one page extends further up or down than the other, or just the crossover because if they don't cross over perfectly it can make it look like a vertical alignment but it really isn't. And for us pulling each page out away from the grind 1/16" solved that. I think the issue was that when the book was bound it would suck the pages in a little bit causing the mis-alignment.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on May 26, 2015, 11:54:07 AMSomewhat related, when you bind a perfect bound book, what's the standard grindoff? Normally it's an .125 (.25 total) but we just had one that has .0625 (.125 total).

Most of the time it is .125" but if we are running a little short on the paper size we'll go less.

Tracy

We don't have in-house bindery for big jobs
Our outside bindery asks for Accordian then Right Angle, Right Angle for a 32 pg SS,
If I remember correctly they ask for accordion for PB too.

Farabomb

We use a few different places and it all seems they want something different.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

I know, gets confusing, I send a layout for approval on almost every job we send out.
different binderys, different layouts-sheesh

StudioMonkey

If I am laying out any kind of booklet I will always ask the bindery / finishers how they want it laid out.  There are many ways to fold an 8up A5, never mind 16up.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

I have the issue of almost never having a job bag, nobody knows what bindery it's going to and even if it's in house if I ask our guy about a job he'll approve the layout, then after it's printed accuse me of changing the layout. Dude has every excuse in the book and the words "it's my fault" have never, ever come out of his mouth.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Yeah, I get the deer in the headlight look when I ask about layout for outside bindery
so I set it up how I think it goes, print screen of my layout in XMF (In preps I think you can output a pdf of a layout)
then if needed throw it in InDesign and put gutter/lip info.
send the bindery the pdf and ask for approval

Farabomb

I can send out an imposed PDF to outside bindery but they wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. They are stuck in the Gutenberg times. I ask for an imposition from a place that I know has the same version of preps and I get a picture of illegible scribble.

These are the same people that know far more than me about facebook, twitter and other "social" net things but don't know what a PDF is.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

one of the many issues that causes stress :angry: