News:

Main Menu

Duplicate Pages?

Started by PR Treefrog, November 24, 2011, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR Treefrog

We impose using InDesign, both 5 and 5.5, and are having a really bizarre thing of pages duplicating themselves when printing to postscript.  :wtf:

Job can be as simple as a 4up impo single page document but when distilled we end up getting two pages of the same image. Needless to say when doing books it can get quite dangerous!!
Yesterday I imposed a 96pp yearbook (did them in sections to make it easier on the rip to handle). Had 4 indd doc's, made of 3 sections each, NL & FL, so each doc had 6 pages. First ps file distilled and gave me 6 pages ... correct, second one distilled and gave me 6 pages ... correct, third one distilled and gave me 7 pages – page 5 duplicated???  :wtf: :wtf:??

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know of any fixes?

PR Treefrog

To add to that it is happening on two different machines  :angry:

frailer

Was it one job? Or several different ones? was thinking maybe something whacky in the job itself.
What's you sequence.? Impose in Indy>print PostScript>Distill> RIP? Sounds very 'old hat'    :undecided:  You guys sound like candidates for at least Quite Imposing Plus.
What's your RIP? And how old?  If you're going to PDF/(Distill), is that only to look before you send .ps to RIP?
Um, have I asked enough questions?
I'll be up in your neck of the woods, briefly, on Friday. Wife doing work stuff on far Nth Coast NSW, then to Bris Friday; catch up with sis in West End. I will be Parker to Lady Penelope.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DCurry

I agree - why distill? Distilling results in a PDF, so why not simply export to PDF? Then you can still do whatever you need at that point.

Do you shuffle pages around in ID? Maybe something is going on with Masters. If you need to impose in ID, I would either place PDFs into the imposition document to avoid pitfalls with selecting and moving artwork. Did you also know that you can place actual InDesign documents as pictures? Might be a good alternative.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

Quote from: DCurry on November 25, 2011, 09:13:41 AMDid you also know that you can place actual InDesign documents as pictures? Might be a good alternative.

I'd forgotten about that one. But then am mostly a PDF shuffler these days; or lying underneath one on a trolley, trying to get it going again.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

StudioMonkey

This has happened to me more than once.  Are you on a Mac or PC?
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Ear

I don't understand why people are still writing .ps files our of InDesign. Indy 5, .ps file? Export to PDF and you will most likely not have problems like this. I haven't created a postscript file since before InDesign 3.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Probably because of their RIP. Many older ones can't handle PDF and some can handle PDF's but not exported ones. I was there once.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Ya, I guess you're right. Last time I had to deal with that was back in the days of film, 8+ years ago.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

PR Treefrog

Thanks for the responses guys... still happening, just haven't had the chance to come back on and reply...

This happens to more than on job, not every job though... (in saying that we just tried the job that sparked me to post something again but this time it only produced a 2pp pdf not 4 like it did previously!)

We impose supplied pdfs in indd 5 or 5.5, and print ps, then distill. Yes, old school but we've been through a phase a while ago exporting pdfs and had too many issues with effects dropping off.

Our rip is Curries Express Workflow... who know's how old... I've been here over 4 years and I know it was here a while before I got here.

And yes, we're on Mac's...  I think I've answered all the questions...

Frailer, pity I've only looked on here now... hope you've been staying dry on far north coast NSW... not much better in Brisbane though, cold and overcast!!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: PR Treefrog on November 24, 2011, 08:21:16 PMWe impose using InDesign, both 5 and 5.5, and are having a really bizarre thing of pages duplicating themselves when printing to postscript.  :wtf:

Job can be as simple as a 4up impo single page document but when distilled we end up getting two pages of the same image. Needless to say when doing books it can get quite dangerous!!
Yesterday I imposed a 96pp yearbook (did them in sections to make it easier on the rip to handle). Had 4 indd doc's, made of 3 sections each, NL & FL, so each doc had 6 pages. First ps file distilled and gave me 6 pages ... correct, second one distilled and gave me 6 pages ... correct, third one distilled and gave me 7 pages – page 5 duplicated???  :wtf: :wtf:??

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know of any fixes?

If you manually designate the pages in the correct order, I wonder if it would still duplicate pages.... try this, in the page range field on output, put a + in front of the corresponding page number. So, for example, if the file contains 6 pages... set the page range to +1-+6.
Member #285 - Civilian

PR Treefrog

Will try that next time DCS, but it "sometimes" happens with a single page 4up impo??

frailer

We had great weather up there. Dodged the floods. Had lunch at the GOMA restaurant Friday... livin' the high life; for 1 day...   :laugh:

have you tried either Exporting as a flattened PDF and using those? Or doing an Optimise at HiRes, but with Transparency ticked? am assuming you have Acrobat Pro...

Maybe that could be a way of avoiding the PostScript diversion, but lock in the effects...  :undecided:   All this on the assumption that the PostScript phase may be causing the weirdness. But maybe not.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Then set the field to +1-+1. This tells InDesign you want page 1 to page 1 in that specific order to print. I'm wondering if forcing the page order will clear up your duplication problem. It's taking the automatic out of the equation.
Member #285 - Civilian