Virtual machine software

Started by Farabomb, August 24, 2015, 08:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I was wondering if anyone has experience with VMs on PC. What I am looking to do to be able to run Snow lepoard, whatever current OSX and windows 7 as the main OS. Maybe win 10 in the future.

Virtual box is free and I am probably going to play around with that today. There is also parallels, VMware, Windows Virtual PC and others I'm probably missing.

I'm looking to upgrade my workstation soon and I want to see if it's possible to make one computer do it all. Apple just wants too much money for their hardware.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Getting OS X to work on a VM is not easy. I know on versions earlier than OS X 10.7 the only way to get it to work correctly if at all was to install the server version of OS X. I know with VirtualBox they have very limited display drivers and if and when you get OS X to boot it will be in a very small window. It is useless that way. There are some terminal commands you can use to change the resolution but it is no easy feat. I currently have OS X 10.6 running in a VirtualBox in a 1600 x 1200 window. It works but it is buggy as crap. The mouse is jerky and flies all over the place...everywhere but where you want it to go and it is S-L-O-O-O-O-O-W. I haven't really tried anything later than OS X 10.6 but in VirtualBox I can't imagine that it has not gotten any better and they won't help you on the VirtualBox forums because running Mac OS X in a VM is not allowed under the Apple license (at least in pre OS 10.7).

If Apple allows it in later versions, and for some reason I think they do allow it now but not 100% sure, I know you would have better luck with either Parallels or VMWare. Neither are free but both are under $100 I think.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

That's kinda what I was thinking. Yes there is a free option but if they are still selling VMware and Parallels there is a reason for it.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

OS X 10.7 excerpt from EULA:

Quote(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software.

OS X 10.8 excerpt from EULA:

Quote(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.

OS X 10.9 excerpt from EULA:

Quote(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.

OS X 10.10 excerpt from EULA:

Basically the Mac OS X 10.7. 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10 gives you the OK to run OS X in a VM...but only on Mac Hardware.

Farabomb

I'm not getting rid of my present Mac. I do need something that can run software that isn't 6 versions behind.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

I prefer parallels. I have a Mac at working running VMware, but Parallels seems to be the fastest. As Joe said, you can only legally install OS X from version 10.7 as a virtual machine. Not sure why you want to run something that old, unless there is a software issue with newer OS's.

The great thing with virtual machines is there is no limit to what you can have install. No partitions, no mucking about. I had 10.10 installed a virtual machine for testing, Win 10 for testing and Win 7 installed for the one app I need windows for. Works great, fast and no need to bootcamp or partition.

Farabomb

Well seeing as I am presently running 10.6.8 because I have some older programs that need power PC functionality, 10.7 would be new to me.  ;D

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on August 26, 2015, 06:38:26 AMAs Joe said, you can only legally install OS X from version 10.7 as a virtual machine.

And legally only on Apple Hardware. Installing it in a VM on a PC is not allowed (legally that is) by the EULA.

Farabomb, you really should try to find a copy of OS X 10.6 Server if you really need to run OS X 10.6 in a VM. But again you can only run an Apple OS on an Apple Branded computer (legally that is)

QuoteYou agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer

Farabomb

I will be keeping everything business wise legal. We've already gotten letters from comcast about DLs because they are sniffing our packets.

I'm thinking new laptop to get close to current. Install acrobat pro and pitstop and that should take care of 90% of what I do. Keep the Mac running for preps and maybe learn preps 6 just in case. If I need a newer OSX version I can run it in a VM and hope it can do what's needed.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

To be honest, once you get used to the new interface, Preps 6 and or 7 are much better than version 5. Some people just have to be pulled into the future.  :tongue:

Farabomb

No doubt but getting the boss to pay for the newer version is going to be damn near impossible.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Never know. I just put together a proposal for a major upgrade for my Sierra Workflow, new box and everything and was approved. I find if you take a couple days to write it up and detail some kind of ROI, they are more comfortable spending money. Mine was badly needed but I still had to sell it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I need a pressman before I go in and ask for new hardware.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black