Trying to freelance some more...

Started by Foozball, May 14, 2009, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

Anyone ever dealt with gotprint.com??
I need some business cards in SMALL quantities, which leaves me with TWO initial criteria - Price and Made in the USA.

New Year's resolution WAS to "juice up" my resume and score a better job ... but considering the market here for (reasonably) competent pre-press peeps is almost bone dry, ... I'd like to try and wrangle some freelance work with a couple of businesses in my local area! (Accent goes a LONG way round 'ere!) :wink:

gnubler

I'm not advocating this because I personally would never use companies like this, but...

Where I work we do tons of business cards "on the side". We send all the printing here:

http://partnerprinting.com/index.php

I think it's in Dallas. They do pretty good work, but you know they gang up jobs. I think it costs us something like $15 for 500 cards, 4/0
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

whoami

I have heard of gotprint.com.  In fact I have used them once before and they did an excellent job.  I had some business cards to print out and I googled cheap business cards and they are the first link that came up.  I looked at the address and it turns out they are basically on the next block from where I work.  It took them 7 days to print out my 500 business cards.  They do have a rush service that they offer for a faster turn around time.  I don't think that anyone, around here anyways, can beat their prices.  Good luck with the freelance work!!!

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Foozball

Thanks for the link David, I appreciate it but it DID make me laugh!
People ordering 100 business cards ($20 inc shipping) then wanting their money back - of course they would get the ($20) WORST customer service reps! :laugh: When's the last time you had someone want a $20 refund on print work? New art school grads, designer wanna-be's and cheap skates ... nice mix ... UGH! :banghead: They can HAVE those customers! :laugh:

Got a sample pack off them the other day, with bits and pieces of their printed goods, considering how CHEAP they are (for offset) I liked it. I want heavier stock cards (about 16pt?), either un-coated or with a silk finish.
It's all about price - for $20, I'll order 100 and probably consider them a "trial run", I won't fret if I have to throw them out.

David

yeah, that's kinda what I thought, too.
what do you want for 20 bucks...   the mona lisa????

I only got 99 business cards, I want my money back..wah wah wah

:cry:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I just read through some of those "complaints"...I'm assuming most of those were submitted by Generation Y or Z? Almost unreadable.  :puke: Punctuation, anyone?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

their u go using 'em big words...

what does that mean, punk-u-a-shun...

:sleepy:
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

is ant like whn U use full stops an commas an stuff like
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Foozball

My Favourite:
"When a person writes their own brochure and it is all done correct with no clear mistakes, but they really do not know how to use big words or write anything of real substance, so in the end it's worded as if it is little more than a grade five sentence writing contest."

AKA: Excessive use of small words!

Foozball

Put in a "massive" order for 2x100 business cards, I'm sure that will keep them afloat in these harsh economic times! :laugh:

BUSINESSCARD -
SIZE:2x3.5
PAPER:14pt Premium Uncoated Cover
COLOR:full/b&w TURNAROUND:Standard
100 -     $5.28

BUSINESSCARD
SIZE:2x3.5
PAPER:16pt Dull Cover with Matte Finish
COLOR:full/b&w TURNAROUND:Standard
100 -     $6.61

Sub Total:    $11.89
Shipping and Handling:    $15.80
Refund Credit Coupon:    -$5.00
Total:    $22.69

(Did a google search on coupons as I placed the order and saved another $5!)

FYI - Prices: 1000 cards on the uncoated would have cost $18, and 10,000 would have cost $85, the 100 ordered are just proofs really.  :wink:

I'll give a report incase anyone else is interested!!
I prefer UN-coated/dull stock, because that's what I worked with for years, plus applying that MASSIVE over-sharpen is an awesome trick giving MAX effect, which most designers HATE to see ... "OMG, it looks terrible on my screen, APPLE-Z and Undo it!"  :wink:

johnhodges

It seems like challenge. I think lots of printers providing good service.