New Platesetter System Advice

Started by Bakerman, September 24, 2015, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakerman

Hello all,

I work in an print shop that only makes envelopes. We are looking for a replacement for our Magnus 400. Looking to get away from Kodak completely. We are a jet shop and run a very small plate 12.25" x 9.5" up to a super jet at 15.25" x 19.5". Looking for a dependable machine for plate making as well as a decent rip station to send our files to.

Anyone have a suggestion? A small footprint on the platemaker would be ideal. Nothing bigger than the Magnus400, we are a very small print shop.

TIA

Bakerman

Tracy

not sure about a small imagesetter, but you might want to consider going process less
since your starting over, a vendor will give you samples with images on them.
we tried them but it didn't work well for us, but for a small press it might be good.

Ear

That's some good advice, Tracy.

I've only run the large, 8up platesetters with expensive RIPS, so I'm no help on the small platesetters. I do, however, run plates for a couple of small print shops in town and they cut them down to size. I can get 4-out Halm-Jet envelope plates on a Speedmaster plate. And I get 2 GTO plates out of a Harris web plate.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Rabid

No small imagesetter advice here either. We used to run plates for several presses here that were too small for our Magnus 800.
We just laid them out so we could cut them down manually. Marked up the cutter board in the plate room and it worked great.

Marktonk

Bakerman,

The Suprasetter A52 meets your plate sizes. It has a minimum plate size of 9.45 x 9.45" and a maximum plate size of 26.61 X 20.87". This will image upto 20 or 27 plates per hour. As a manual CTP, it is a little smaller then the Magnus 400 and with an auto loader, considerably smaller then the Magnus 400. It also is much more energy efficient, using only 550 watts when imaging. Also, our laser is only on when imaging. Below is a link with info and you can download the specs. More information is needed to determine configuration so depending on where you are located, either I or one of my colleagues can review in detail with you. If interested, please e-mail me your company name and location so I can determine who can consult with you.

https://www.heidelberg.com/us/en/products/prepress/computer_to_plate/suprasetter_a52_a75/suprasetter_a52_a75.jsp

Thanks,
Mark
Mark.tonkovich@heidelberg.com

Quote from: Bakerman on September 24, 2015, 11:07:12 AMHello all,

I work in an print shop that only makes envelopes. We are looking for a replacement for our Magnus 400. Looking to get away from Kodak completely. We are a jet shop and run a very small plate 12.25" x 9.5" up to a super jet at 15.25" x 19.5". Looking for a dependable machine for plate making as well as a decent rip station to send our files to.

Anyone have a suggestion? A small footprint on the platemaker would be ideal. Nothing bigger than the Magnus400, we are a very small print shop.

TIA

Bakerman
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Mikie

What's wrong with the magnus 400 you have now? Might be cheaper to fix than buy into a new device + a new workflow?

I understand wanting to ditch Kodak, we are a heavy into Kodak with their automation... but don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Bakerman

Hey Everyone, Thanks to all for the input.

Marktonk I appreciate the link, definately give that a look see. I have certain structural limitations regarding foot print and location so that is a factor.

Mikie, I prefer the Kodak system but I work for a cheapskate who is disgruntled with Kodak and all of the expensive materials.
Personally I love Prinergy, but I have been tasked to find our shop a new system,( read cheaper ).  That is why I asked here.
So far I have the Suprasetter to look at, there are others I'm sure, but I am trying to avoid the vendor fiasco, and talk to the people who actually do the job first . That way I have a bit more info and can steer towards the best fit.

Bakerman

Marktonk

Hi Bakerman,

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. Good luck in your research.

Best,

Mark

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA