News:

Main Menu

Type KO

Started by frailer, October 15, 2014, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Careful... it's a trap.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

:hangme: Hah, yeah. All that concentration on type KO, but he has run a Black screened image with the  100% 877C. Max about 20%... the 'boys' are looking at it now... May not be an issue.. we'll see. I think we've got away with similar in the past.

Running a Black + Silver test pair now so they can test before the weekend. I swaer we have had this 'talk' before about metallics and trapping. In-house dezinger... rush job, although shouldn't have been. Why is it that a job that's been in the prep for weeks is a 'we don't have time to ..[insert fix of your choice]'...?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

We have had this talk b4. A full thread devoted to it, a couple years ago. I'm too lazy to dig it up.

I think a lot of it boiled down to pressman's choice, depending on factors such as art, stock and order of ink stations. I always talk to the pressman (my sheetfed guy is super cool and easy to deal with). I've had jobs where they want the metallic to trap to the black, and others where metallic was treated as dominant, with all other colors trapping to it. Too many variables to make a general statement on this topic.

Fortunately, we have the tools to easily change trap parameters to accommodate.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Ear on October 17, 2014, 09:41:50 AMWe have had this talk b4. A full thread devoted to it, a couple years ago. I'm too lazy to dig it up.

I think a lot of it boiled down to pressman's choice, depending on factors such as art, stock and order of ink stations. I always talk to the pressman (my sheetfed guy is super cool and easy to deal with). I've had jobs where they want the metallic to trap to the black, and others where metallic was treated as dominant, with all other colors trapping to it. Too many variables to make a general statement on this topic.

Fortunately, we have the tools to easily change trap parameters to accommodate.

Not to mention it all depends on what order it runs on press. Black can overprint a metallic if the metallic is run first, but not the other way around. Heavy concentrations of black over a metallic, regardless HAS to trap.
Member #285 - Civilian

andyfest

We have successfully overprinted Black, spot colours or grads by running the metallic down first as a UV ink with a drying lamp and then dry-trapping or overprinting the Black/spot colour/grad. It's the only way that I've found that works without the ghosting associated with conventional ink & wet-trapping or overprinting.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Ear

DCS and Andy... both prime examples of why we should talk to the pressman about ink order and such. All presses are capable of different things and there are many ink formulas and other tricks of the trade. There just is no standard answer and knowing how to tweak trap settings in your RIP will save a ton of hassle.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Ear on October 17, 2014, 11:38:15 AMDCS and Andy... both prime examples of why we should talk to the pressman about ink order and such. All presses are capable of different things and there are many ink formulas and other tricks of the trade. There just is no standard answer and knowing how to tweak trap settings in your RIP will save a ton of hassle.

Yeah, true enough. Talking to the press monkeys beforehand can be and usually is a good idea in certain situations.
Member #285 - Civilian