News:

Main Menu

Rip Advice

Started by Santa, October 02, 2015, 07:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa

So...our Artworks 8.5 is really starting to show it's age and the windows box that my Apogee Print Drive sits on is getting as old as my high schooler so it's time to look for an upgrade.

Feeling Artworks, Apogee, and Prinergey are overkill...and over $$$ for our needs.  We are a single shift shop, (read me and my brothers) rip about 5-6 jobs per day all going on a 5 color Komori. 

We do mostly display work that goes in-store (Walgreens, CVS, Home Depot), so transparencies have become quite a challenge as of late.  Some great...some not so great.

Wondering what choices are out there.  Heard about Xitron, but fairly unfamiliar....had Artworks in and liked the stuff but seems very overkill for what we do. Looking to see what is around in a sub $20K complete system.

Our imposition software is Dyna strip which would probably need to be replaced as well.  Proofing was just upgraded last year to EFI   XF

mattbeals

Harlequin RIP and iTrap from Lucid Dream. Lucid sells both together. It's a great combo.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

If I remember correct XMF and Xriton are basically the same thing. I too think that prinergy is overkill, our shop is not unlike yours. If I had to upgrade right now I'd be going with XMF.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I don't think you can get under $20K with XMF. Yes it is cheaper than Prinergy, Apogee, Esko but it isn't that cheap. I have no idea on the cost of Matts suggestion but it might be in that range.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Santa

Thanks Guys...it's a tough spot.  The Rip is vital, but we truly run 4-5 jobs through it a day when we are screaming.  

My question: Is there a big difference between the actual Ripping of say an artworks over a citron...or is it more MIS and whistles and bells?

We do mostly retail display graphics so transparencies and gradients have to be smooth.

Ear

I am running a Xenith Sierra, which is a rebadge of Fuji XMF, basically. It is a great workflow and a lot of bang for the buck. The imposition easily rivals Preps.

I would say all of the high-end, APPE RIPs will render files the same, gradients, etc... the higher end RIPs will have more features to help with imposition, versioning, JDF, etc... Doesn't sound like you do a lot of big impositions. This means you probably don't need all of the imposition bells and whistles.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

mattbeals

With a Harlequin RIP you get a great RIP. You build everything else around it. There are modules/plugins available for it. You can drive imagesetters, plate setters, laser printers, proofers, high res CT's out. Using PDFxMaker from Lucid you can send out trapped/color managed PDF/X-1a's. Harlequin RIP's full support transparency, smooth shades, PS Level 3, PDF 1.7, etc.... And you can get one for under $20k last time I looked. It's just a basic RIP. I doesn't have anything fancy added to it. Just a down and dirty kick-arse RIP with a no frills price tag. If you don't look at it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Are the other RIP's just as good? Yes. And they're more expensive and probably have more than you want or need from what you have described here. Any of them will work, but only one will work in your stated budget.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Santa

Thanks All..taking a good look at Lucid Matt and Xitron as well.  It means a lot to get some unbiased reviews from the people who use the stuff.  Like I said, I feel so much older than I did in 2005.

Farabomb

I think the High Schooler might have something to do with that.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Santa

Quote from: Farabomb on October 02, 2015, 12:14:21 PMI think the High Schooler might have something to do with that.

I think your right!

Have a Xitron Navigator GPS Demo set up for next week as well as a Prinergy "light"  Thanks for all the input. Stay tuned for Wave 2 questions after Demo's

Joe

Prinergy has a "light", re: cheaper, version?

Does Kodak know about this? :rotf:

Farabomb

Yeah, I thought EVO wasn't sold anymore?  ???

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 06, 2015, 11:07:43 AMYeah, I thought EVO wasn't sold anymore?  ???

I've read EVO was EOL so I'm not sure what Prinergy "Light" is. Could be they are selling CONNECT with RBA and they might be calling Prinergy without RBA Prinergy "Light"?

Farabomb

That's EVO. No RBA as far as I know. At least not on my ancient version.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

EVO didn't have the database. I don't think they offer a version anymore without the database so the only thing I could think of that would make a full blown Prinergy vs Prinergy "Light" would be no RBA in the light. When we bought Prinergy RBA was an optional license that we bought. But now it may be included in the full blown Prinergy and not in Prinergy "Light". But that is all just a guess.