News:

Main Menu

Adobe cloud

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, August 30, 2012, 06:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Maybe i've been living in a cave about adobe cloud but one of the owners asked if it is a good thing....

That's my next mission, justifying the expense of it. We have 2 macs running CS6.

It's a long weekend with no plans, I'll have to look into it.

t-pat

We have volume licensing and apparently it is non clown based.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: t-pat on August 30, 2012, 08:50:42 AMWe have volume licensing and apparently it is non clown based.

CLOWN BASED? Is this a typo? (our whole company seems to be CLOWN BASED.)  :banghead:  :drunk3: :drunk3:

But seriously, on the 2nd mac we're purchasing we have to buy a full CS6 with no upgrade at a cost of 1299. This may factor in to the choice here. :drunk3:

t-pat

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 30, 2012, 09:07:43 AM
Quote from: t-pat on August 30, 2012, 08:50:42 AMWe have volume licensing and apparently it is non clown based.

CLOWN BASED? Is this a typo? (our whole company seems to be CLOWN BASED.)  :banghead:  :drunk3: :drunk3:

But seriously, on the 2nd mac we're purchasing we have to buy a full CS6 with no upgrade at a cost of 1299. This may factor in to the choice here. :drunk3:

not a typo. I work in printing also. It is 100% clown based. There's a pair of floppy shoes engineered into everything.
vdp donkey

t-pat

oh and that reminds me that my domain clownbasedtechnology.com is up for renewal. I was going to start a print portal there.
vdp donkey

pspdfppdfxhd

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Evidently, the per month price is going up to $69 a month. Do the maths, in a year you're almost to the upgrade price.
It's no joke, CS stands for Cash Siphon.
And of course they release Acrobat at different intervals to drain more of said cash.

doomed
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

born2print

I thought CS was chicken stuff?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I've been researching this extensively for the past couple of days. They are running a special until Friday where you can get the subscription $29.99 per month for a 12 month period. $29.99 x 12 = $359.88 (plus tax) per year. If you have Design Standard the upgrade for the boxed set is $275 (plus tax)...(Design Premium is $375 plus tax) and is good until you buy the next release. For us with 14 copies to upgrade the cloud base service would cost us $1,072 more but if CS 6.5 or 7 is released before the end of the 12 month period we would get it with the Cloud based subscription. And after that 12 month period the price of the cloud subscription goes back to the regular price which currently is $49.99 per month with no guarantee it won't be higher after your first 12 months is up.

And as was mentioned, there is no volume licensing option at the moment for the cloud. We would have to create 14 different cloud subscriptions for each of our current licenses and download the software 14 times to install on our 14 Macs. We have decided to forego the Adobe Cloud scam and just buy the boxed upgrade. Also with the cloud if you go over your allotted amount of disk space the monthly cost goes up as well.

Plus I don't need this crap.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

You have pretty much summed up my research as well, Joe.

I think the boxed set is still cheaper in the long run and you own it. But, the downsize is, you have to pay for the updates (from 6 to 7 for example).

They get you coming and going.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

They fuck you at the drive thru
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

almaink

One thing about the cloud is upgrades you won't get unless you go the cloud route. They just added a "a package" feature to Illustrator that only the cloud subscribers can get for example. First they kill off the Adobe Partners, now this crap, IMO Adobe is shooting itself in the foot and I wonder if they got someone who used to work at Quark running the marketing department now.
Linkage to cloud blog
 http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

gnubler

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 30, 2012, 06:44:12 AMIt's a long weekend with no plans, I'll have to look into it.

You spend your free time with Adobe?

I could think of at least 87 better things to do over a long weekend...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

only 87...

I can come up with maybe 93 things...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca