How to convert an InDesign document to Word

Started by ratintrap, October 24, 2011, 08:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratintrap

Is there any easy/reliable way to convert an InDesign document to Word format?

The reason I'm asking is because our salespeople have log sheets that list info pertaining to their advertisers that have been managed by my department in the past. I'd like to convert them to Word format for sales so they can manage them on their own. Up until a couple of years ago they didn't have computers of their own ( :embarrassed:), that was the reason we took care of the log sheets for them.

I've tried exporting the document as a PDF and then converted it to Word using Zamzar.com but the conversion wasn't perfect. I can just clean up the .doc I got from Zamzar but a cleaner conversion would be good if anyone knows of a better option.

David

You should be able to open the PDF in Acrobat and "save as" a word file from there.
What version of Acrobat do you have?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Also you can export it as Rich Text out of Indy and then import that into Word. No guarantees on how it comes out though. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ratintrap

Quote from: david on October 24, 2011, 08:55:49 AMYou should be able to open the PDF in Acrobat and "save as" a word file from there.
What version of Acrobat do you have?

9 pro. I'll try that.

ratintrap

Oh dear, that didn't work so well.

In other news ...

I see DCS is back!  :banana:

David

I've had pretty good luck with the Acro to Word conversion. What kind of word file do you have?
I noticed you said it was a log file, does it look like an Excel file with cells or what?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: ratintrap on October 24, 2011, 09:33:55 AMOh dear, that didn't work so well.

In other news ...

Yep, how are you, sir? Still pulling your own teeth?
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Haha... we're doing a revised consent form for my wife's work (drug testing, imagine the score here on b4p if there was a random call-in...  :rolleyes: ). She wanted a Word file as well. So after PitStopping the changes, also saved As a Word file.
But I sent it to her without opening to see if it 'worked'.   :wife:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

ratintrap

Quote from: david on October 24, 2011, 09:39:26 AMI've had pretty good luck with the Acro to Word conversion. What kind of word file do you have?
I noticed you said it was a log file, does it look like an Excel file with cells or what?

This file started out in PageMaker and was converted to InDesign. My boss is going to redo the log sheets in Excel. I'm not familiar with Excel myself.

ratintrap

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 24, 2011, 10:03:05 AM
Quote from: ratintrap on October 24, 2011, 09:33:55 AMOh dear, that didn't work so well.

In other news ...

I'm good, still feeling slight effects of the tooth rip though. :wink:

rickself

Quote from: ratintrap on October 25, 2011, 04:22:14 AM
Quote from: david on October 24, 2011, 09:39:26 AMI've had pretty good luck with the Acro to Word conversion. What kind of word file do you have?

This file started out in PageMaker and was converted to InDesign. My boss is going to redo the log sheets in Excel. I'm not familiar with Excel myself.
Holy cow. RageMaker to InDesign to Word. Now there's a 2 point reversal for ya! As an old boss of mine used to say, "Just push a button. That's why you prepress guys make the good money," as he walks away grumbling something about stupid computers and how things used to be better with film.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: rickself on October 25, 2011, 06:48:12 AM

Holy cow. RageMaker to InDesign to Word. Now there's a 2 point reversal for ya! As an old boss of mine used to say, "Just push a button. That's why you prepress guys make the good money," as he walks away grumbling something about stupid computers and how things used to be better with film.

Sounds like Malwick.
Member #285 - Civilian

rickself

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 25, 2011, 11:08:19 AM

Sounds like Malwick.
Emm, errr, nooo, Not him. But tell me more! Have our paths crossed somewhere?! :blank:
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: rickself on October 25, 2011, 11:55:36 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 25, 2011, 11:08:19 AM

Sounds like Malwick.
Emm, errr, nooo, Not him. But tell me more! Have our paths crossed somewhere?! :blank:

I used to work for him a long time ago. Is he still at Heritage? Yes, our paths have crossed many times in the last few months. Do you wanna guess, or should I just tell you?
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: ratintrap on October 25, 2011, 04:23:39 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 24, 2011, 10:03:05 AM

In other news ...

I'm good, still feeling slight effects of the tooth rip though. :wink:

Good to hear, sir. Still regretting it?
Member #285 - Civilian