Plugins- CS5 cannot open file?

Started by Grimace, December 28, 2011, 09:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimace

I got an indy file from a customer that gives me an immediate error and will not open on my machine.
First I get a you do not have the plugin "SHAREDCONTENT.RPLN"
I click okay and then get another list that I don't have and Adobe suggests that I update plugins.

FormField.InDesignPlugin
XML.InDesignPlugin
TEXT.InDesignPlugin
Hyperlinks.InDesignPlugin
DocumentFramework.InDesignPlugin
Graphics.InDesignPlugin

What gives? Is it on my end or theirs?

I'm running CS5 and the file info says CS5 as well.

Cannot open on any other computer running CS5 here either, thinking it must be customer.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Grimace

Quote from: Farabomb on December 28, 2011, 09:22:10 AMI'll bet it's a 5.5 file.

Does CS5.5 only show as a CS5 file when doing a get info on a Mac?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Grimace on December 28, 2011, 09:24:54 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on December 28, 2011, 09:22:10 AMI'll bet it's a 5.5 file.

Does CS5.5 only show as a CS5 file when doing a get info on a Mac?
yup.

You got yourself a 5.5 file there, my friend.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

Farabomb

Honestly I don't know. I haven't run across a 5.5 file in the wild yet but that error sure looks like a newer version error.

Pretty sure info will tell you it's the newest version of said software installed no matter what version it was built in.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

NefariousDrO

That has to be one of the dumbest "features" to any of the Creative Suite apps. It doesn't tell you anything useful, so it takes running into it a few times before you figure out the problem. Adobe needs to figure out a better system for that.

DigiCorn

What I hate is that on Mac, the .indd extension offers no help at all. I usually save my files .ind3, .ind4, .ind5 .ind55 etc for future reference. Also, if you MAKE the software, why have it treat leading/tracking differently so you get reflow when going between versions; Adobe, if you make the .inx/.idml a "save down" then let it open the same friggin' way as it did on the newer version without the reflow.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

what's even more fun is that it will "lose" certain fonts when downsaved. A file with the fonts loaded the whole downsave process will ask for [fontname]BT suddenly when opened in cs3
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Grimace

Alright, I can't figure out how to save as any other version than CS5 on my machine.
I am trying to tell a new InDesign user how to save as a file I can open.

How does one save to a lower/older version of InDesign????

Joe

Quote from: Grimace on December 28, 2011, 01:07:04 PMAlright, I can't figure out how to save as any other version than CS5 on my machine.

I think you have to export instead of Save As. Pick InDesign Markup (IDML) as the file type.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Grimace

Quote from: Joe on December 28, 2011, 01:10:55 PM
Quote from: Grimace on December 28, 2011, 01:07:04 PMAlright, I can't figure out how to save as any other version than CS5 on my machine.

I think you have to export instead of Save As. Pick InDesign Markup (IDML) as the file type.
Thanks!
I just figured it out.... :embarrassed:

NefariousDrO

Quote from: t-pat on December 28, 2011, 10:02:23 AMwhat's even more fun is that it will "lose" certain fonts when downsaved. A file with the fonts loaded the whole downsave process will ask for [fontname]BT suddenly when opened in cs3

My favorite part is how each version reads font names differently. So one version sees "Times New Roman" and another sees "TimesNewRoman" and yet another sees "TimesNewRoman(truetype)" and they're all the same stinkin' font! WTF doesn't even begin to cover that stupidity.

frailer

The whole game is "let's go over to the counter, and ask the nice cashier to upgrade you. I'm holding a Glock in my jacket pocket, so no false moves. Smile nicely when you've paid, and we'll just leave quietly".
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.