Moving settings to another Mac

Started by redlik, October 06, 2015, 03:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

The shock from 5 to 6 was a long and painful one but once you get used to it everything is OK. It took me about 2 years to get used to it though. Personally I see very little difference from 6 to 7 other than 7 brings back the ability to see both the front and back + multiple webs in one window at the same time.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

It took me 45 minutes to figure out a freaking cut-and-stack. I also hate how I can no longer select all of my vertical gutters at once to make them all the same. Also a pain to convert a SW to Single Side and vice-versa. The list goes on.

Now, if I did a lot of book work I can see how the folding patterns are handy, but we don't do much of that.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

I'm not bothered by having to type in the correct numbers for the gutters. I rarely want them all the same.

re: Also a pain to convert a SW to Single Side and vice-versa

Like this?

I also don't use folding patterns. I'm still using the old template system and probably always will. Creating impositions on the fly for each job for a web press is a major PITA.

DCurry

Yes, Joe, like that. Seems simple enough until you actually try to do it. Seems to want to require a phantom 2nd page when you try to link it to a page set in Prinergy.

We're trying to stick with the same old template system, too, but because we have lots of forms in 1 template to cover different scenarios it doesn't work so well so we're trying to figure out best practices for our situation. We have almost every possible template already created over the years, but seems like a couple time s a week we get a job in that requires something just a little different than what we have on hand, hence having to make new templates now and then.

One more gripe - I love the Scale feature for applying creep. I was hoping that the latest Prinergy upgrade would incorporate it into the "create imposition" dialog, but it doesn't so we still have to make a Preps job for those situations.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Hmmmm...we don't change many to single-sided so I can't really say what that issue might be.

We have to do the same for Scale Creep and also for creating multi-section impositions. It would be nice to be able to impose those without having to open Preps.

I used to have a script to run that would take all of your templates with multiple impos in 1 template and it would split them all out to individual templates but I don't have it anymore. It originally came from Kodak so if you have support you might want to ask them if they still have that. It took just a couple of minutes to convert our entire template library into single impositions. They had both a Mac and Windows version but the Mac version didn't work but the Windows one did.

redlik

Hi,
Network folder suggestions worked like a charm, thnx a lot!
R

DCurry

Yes, I know about that script (might even have it laying around somewhere). Not even sure I need it because our existing templates work fine as is. The challenge comes when I have to take an existing template and add or modify a form within. It really becomes more of an organizational issue as far as naming the template and keeping track of everything. We just haven't really settled on how to handle it yet because it only happens once or twice a week.

I just know that we are far less efficient with it, and at least half of that is surely just us getting used to it, but the other half is that Kodak took a relatively straightforward app and, while trying to improve it, complicated it needlessly.

Farabomb

So, if you make the switch to 6 you might as well start over with new templates?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Mikie

Quote from: Farabomb on October 07, 2015, 06:32:19 AMSo, if you make the switch to 6 you might as well start over with new templates?

We are using all our old templates, works fine.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 07, 2015, 06:32:19 AMSo, if you make the switch to 6 you might as well start over with new templates?

No, but if you create your templates now with multiple impositions in a template and you want to edit one of them you have to add all of them into a Preps job, edit the one you need to change, then do a "Save As Template...". If you don't add all of them into the Preps job and only add the one and then "Save As Template..." and overwrite the original by using the same name the new template will only have the one you edited and the others will be gone. That is why there is a script that will save all of the impositions in a template to individual templates which is how we run now...every .tpl file now only has one imposition inside of it.

Dan, if you still have the script can you post a link to it. I'd like to have it again if you can find it. I agree also about that they "took a relatively straightforward app and, while trying to improve it, complicated it" but I'm not sure it was needlessly. Yes it was needless for those of us they continue to use pre-built templates but to incorporate folding patterns I think they had to do it the way that they did. People that use folding patterns seem to love them. Myself personally I'd rather have a prebuilt template to choose when doing an imposition instead of creating the whole thing for each and every job. I know that would be a nightmare with our web presses.

DCurry

I'll look for it , Joe, but no promises!

DCurry

Hmmm, I might have spoken too soon. I have the Preps Migration Utility, which I know is not it, but I also have something called "PrepsTemplateMigrationUtility.exe". Could that be it?

Joe

I don't remember it being a .exe but it might have been. I know the one for the Mac was an Applescript that didn't work.