Windows 7/8 can upgrade to 10 for free

Started by Made in Taiwan, June 04, 2015, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

No! I just want to click blindly than complain about it later. I take offense at your suggestion of going it the correct way. Since I'm offended I'm more important and will spout about it on the internet, get thousands of followers then lobby the government so we have someone that comes in and installs all my software. All for free. It will be mandatory and you won't have a choice.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

so far the only thing thats driving me nuts is sometimes the audio output is defaulting to the shitty built-in speaker in the tower case, instead of the audio output jack. its wllie-nillie as far as whats causing it, its inconsistent.  I know it default to that speaker if you dont have externals plugged in, maybe my jack is bad?? but its never done this in win7..

Joe

Quote from: delooch on July 31, 2015, 08:59:49 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 31, 2015, 07:58:32 AMNot sure what all the hub-bub is about over this.

QuoteMicrosoft enables Wi-Fi Sense by default on Windows 10, but it doesn't share your networks by default. You have to actively choose to share your Wi-Fi network by clicking a box that says "Share network with my contacts" when logging in.

Simple solution: Don't click the box to share your network. It is not shared by default. Hell you can enable guest access to your network through your router settings and you don't hear everyone getting their panties bunched up over it. Because it is not enabled by default. Just like Wi-Fi Sense network sharing in Windows 10.

its pretty clear about this on install, you are presented with that option, if you enable it, well, youre an idiot.

That is 99.9% of PC users. :rotf:

Quote from: delooch on July 31, 2015, 09:23:16 AMso far the only thing thats driving me nuts is sometimes the audio output is defaulting to the shitty built-in speaker in the tower case, instead of the audio output jack. its wllie-nillie as far as whats causing it, its inconsistent.  I know it default to that speaker if you dont have externals plugged in, maybe my jack is bad?? but its never done this in win7..

Have you set it to be the Default output device in the Sound settings?

Also how did you get Win 10? Through Windows update or did you download the ISO? Upgrade or clean install?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

i upgraded via the notification icon that magically appeared in the systray 3 weeks ago.  on the 29th it popped up saying the win10 upgrade was available & ready.. there were some options about the upgrade - dont remember all, but i think the one i chose was upgrade via windows update. clicked, it did a sys check for about 10 mins, then proceeded to download.  upgraded the existing win7 in about 2 hours, only 2 reboots..  I would have preferred a clean install, didnt see an option for it..

the only thing i dont like is that usually end up reinstalling the OS every 5-6 months from all the tinkering i do, so i need to figure out where it downloaded the ISO or install package, or how a clean install even works in win10..

as far as the audio, the audio properties show the correct jack for audio output, but its acting like theres nothing plugged in, so it routes to the case speaker.  It works randomly, but i really havent had much time to dig deeper yet.

i havent messed with win 8 at all, cant compare.., i really liked the speed and smoothness of win7 - if you liked 7, you will love 10. 

it does want to integrate your windows live account into the os if you have one, or you can just use the traditional local accounts.

common sense says dont use your personal windows live account if youre on a priated copy.

Windows 10 activation still says genuine & valid though...

Joe

If I understand all of MS's rules...and I may not, to do a clean install you need a valid Win 7 or Win 8.1 product key.

You can download the ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I understand there is a way to find the setup files delivered by Windows update and turn it into an ISO.

I have yet to be notified I can upgrade via the Win 10 app in the task bar. They must have started on the left coast and going east from there.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.