InDesign Tips-N-Tricks

Started by Sparky, November 21, 2007, 08:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Yeah, there's a shedload of non-print features. If I was 25, I'd be making a bigger effort to keep up with SWIF file embedding etc etc... But I'm not.    :old:      Hoo well...   :shrug:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

I'm 35 and I don't care anymore. You must be really old.  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on March 02, 2011, 10:34:32 PMI'm 35 and I don't care anymore. You must be really old.  :hello:

:whip:   keeps you young, didn't you know?   
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on March 03, 2011, 07:56:13 AMWhat, whipping?  :laugh:

...'n other stuff.   (Thinks: 'I've allowed myself to be drawn into off-topic irrelevancies; how does this happen?'   :rolleyes: )

frailer

Quote from: Syphon on March 02, 2011, 07:41:02 PMI do love the multiple functions of the Selection Tool in CS5.
There is my two cents.

Yep, used it today. Should have been in a few versions back.

pspdfppdfxhd

Just a tip that I'm sure most of you know.

Had to use this last week when I did a project Inluding a 9x12 folder, letterhead, business card and envelope.

With the page size tool you can setup 4 different page sizes for each and keep the whole project in one file then export the pdf's as needed.

I know it's pretty old news but it's one of the best things about the CS5 upgrade that I've worked with.

Funny how none of our clients have sent us jobs in this format though.

gnubler

Funny how my customers think a business card size is 8.5 x 11.

Duffy

Quote from: gnubler on May 03, 2012, 02:40:33 PMFunny how my customers think a business card size is 8.5 x 11.

I thought that was so the Publisher file created, jpeg placed art would look good at 3 1/2 x2
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

t-pat

the multiple page sizes thing is a neat concept but seems to be a total disaster for actual production. I don't need to be figuring out what page what component is on, what's so hard about it being separate files? We document and process lots as separate and it would not make any sense whatsoever to have a pdf with multiple page sizes.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

frailer

This came in my InDesign Tips email. If you have a doc that's actin' up a' ornery, this may give some clue as to history. (for those who may not know about it...)

Hold Cmd+'About InDesign' (from menu)

youston

Quote from: frailer on July 19, 2012, 04:29:18 PMThis came in my InDesign Tips email. If you have a doc that's actin' up a' ornery, this may give some clue as to history. (for those who may not know about it...)

Hold Cmd+'About InDesign' (from menu)

Dang, that history goes all the way back to when the designer's parents had their first date.

frailer

I do like the 'Converted from QuarkXpress' though.  :laugh:  Adobe covers the base...

Tracy

Got an email from quark last week
convert your pdfs to quark :laugh:

Oh I saw a job posting that had all the programs needed for the job
quark was listed but said it wasn't a deal breaker :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on July 21, 2012, 05:52:19 PMGot an email from quark last week
convert your pdfs to quark :laugh:

Oh I saw a job posting that had all the programs needed for the job
quark was listed but said it wasn't a deal breaker :laugh:

I got that email too. All I could think of is "why would anyone do that to a perfectly good PDF"? :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.