InDesign Tips-N-Tricks

Started by Sparky, November 21, 2007, 08:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: ratintrap on November 11, 2010, 07:33:58 PM
Quote from: gnubler on November 11, 2010, 05:17:27 PMGuess I'm the only one who visually looks at each and every PDF I generate?

I do. :shrug:

Yeah, but that's why you're here...a cut above.  Just a fact.    :shrug:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: boosted29 on November 11, 2010, 05:34:17 PM
Quote from: gnubler on November 11, 2010, 05:17:27 PMGuess I'm the only one who visually looks at each and every PDF I generate? I couldn't imagine not at least looking at them before sending them off to wherever. Maybe it's a volume thing - on an average day I probably make fewer than 50 PDFs for various purposes, but I look at them all.

Yeah I don't understand why anyone wouldn't at least take a glance at the PDF. I have had fonts blow out and image framing in the past so I check every single PDF. Once when created, and then again if it is attached to an email right before sending.

Exactly. All of my PDF/Distiller presets have the "Launch Acrobat" (or whatever it is) once the PDF has been generated. I don't have use for a progress bar because when the file is open in front of my face and it looks good, that's enough indication. I can't recall one time where I have not looked at a PDF I made before sending it off elsewhere. It's like brewing beer for someone you want to make friends with, but not tasting it first yourself to make sure it's not absolute shit.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ratintrap

Quote from: frailer on November 11, 2010, 08:34:55 PM
Quote from: ratintrap on November 11, 2010, 07:33:58 PM
Quote from: gnubler on November 11, 2010, 05:17:27 PMGuess I'm the only one who visually looks at each and every PDF I generate?

I do. :shrug:

Yeah, but that's why you're here...a cut above.  Just a fact.    :shrug:

Thanks. :embarrassed:

Tracy

anyone have a trick to create a grid that prints real quick?
not sure if illy would be better

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 18, 2011, 10:58:47 AManyone have a trick to create a grid that prints real quick?

A table with grid lines?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on January 18, 2011, 10:58:47 AManyone have a trick to create a grid that prints real quick?
Step and Repeat a rule with a hairline (0p0.25) ?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Tracy

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on January 18, 2011, 11:43:58 AM
Step and Repeat a rule with a hairline (0p0.25) ?
thats what i did!

gnubler

I use paragraph rules, two text frames stacked, and rotate the second frame 90 degrees.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

Ill try that next time, the table trick wasn't so exact as I like, or i need work on it.
thanks!

David

Quote from: gnubler on January 18, 2011, 12:33:42 PMI use paragraph rules, two text frames stacked, and rotate the second frame 90 degrees.

is that +90 or a -90 rotate?

:laugh:

(didn't want you to be the last post, gnub... oops sorry, you weren't this time, nvm.)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on January 18, 2011, 01:42:21 PMis that +90 or a -90 rotate?

I dunno...do you lean left or right? CONFESS!

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

This one's a freebie-view. You don't have to be a lynda(dot)com subscriber to view.

Differences between CS4/CS5  Don't feel obliged to place an Adobe rant here. Just have a look if you want.   :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Syphon

I do love the multiple functions of the Selection Tool in CS5.
There is my two cents.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat