Different color profiles for different clients

Started by baker7, May 16, 2016, 10:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baker7

baker7

Quote from: Joe on May 26, 2016, 07:15:05 AMOK after thinking some more and looking at your calibration curve some more I think you can fix it...

In your screen shot shown below...where I have added the red line is a gray dotted line. That line is a linear plate. Now look where your calibration curve is at. All I can gather from that is you must be correcting the shit out of the files to make them very heavy to look good on the Mutoh and then this calibration curve is knocking the shit out of your corrections to get back to level the press can handle.

Do you have a RIP hooked to the Mutoh or are you just proofing them straight from Photoshop via File==>Print? Give us a screen grab of your print settings if you are printing from Photoshop.

What kind of corrections are you doing in Photoshop to the files? I think you said you mainly use Curves. My guess is you are making the files heavier in Photoshop. If you are doing a curve move like the one shown in the 2nd screen shot than your calibration curve is basically undoing this correction. Only not in a  good way. But to fix this we need to know all profiles being used and how you handle these files through the entire workflow.

Sorry, crazy busy today.  Here's an example of a work with curve adjustments in Photoshop.  Also there are the color settings in the last two.

Joe

Hopefully you get some good info from Matt and you can get someone in there to straighten the mess out. If that doesn't happen you should at least get a plate reader so you can make a linear plate and then create a print curve that doesn't knock a 50% down to a 23%. Then you can tackle the Mutoh.

As far as your curve corrections go they don't seem that extreme and your color settings don't look bad either. I think something may be hosed in that RIP that you use since you are getting that error.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

baker7

Quote from: Joe on May 26, 2016, 07:04:02 PMHopefully you get some good info from Matt and you can get someone in there to straighten the mess out. If that doesn't happen you should at least get a plate reader so you can make a linear plate and then create a print curve that doesn't knock a 50% down to a 23%. Then you can tackle the Mutoh.

As far as your curve corrections go they don't seem that extreme and your color settings don't look bad either. I think something may be hosed in that RIP that you use since you are getting that error.

Okay.. Thanks Joe.  Really appreciate you sticking it out through all these posts.. Geeze.. too many questions I know.  I think I understand things better after all this.

baker7

I was just talking to my boss explaining to him our problem.  He just kept repeating that what you guys do and what we do (sublimation) is totally different so I shouldn't even listen to you guys.  And he keeps defending the guy who made that whacked out curve, saying he services all the sublimation companies around the downtown area. 

I just figured out my boss may never fix it.  He keeps making excuses because of one thing, he would have to change Mutoh profile for us and all our clients.  And we get a lot of reorders, so if we fix our machines he can't just print old files that's already in the system any longer. 

And I think I know why the color guy from the ink supplier never bothered to make a linear plate.  I'm told he only measured the printout not the actual plate.  It's so that they'll keep getting abundance of orders for all the ink we waste trying to color match.

It's a evil world out here and my boss is too stubborn to want to get himself out of this mess... leaving me to fix every single job that come through here.  He's not even paying me $3k like I thought he was.  He says it was just for the past month because he saw I was working so hard.  This is bullshit.  I gotta find some other place to work.

Joe

Farabomb

Good luck man, that place sounds like a clusterfuck.

Not like my place can be any better. I'm fighting a reprint file abut since we've changed inks, plates and god knows what else and nothing is matching.

No shit, really? The boss thinks you can swap out things and still expects everything to match.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Technically, you really don't need to get a linear plate - all you really need is to confirm that you get a consistent plate. If you have multiple presses, it can be helpful to have a linear plate to start with so you can then tack on a curve for each press, but if you're only adjusting for one output scenario getting the plate linear is just an extra step without much benefit.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on May 31, 2016, 07:59:33 AMTechnically, you really don't need to get a linear plate - all you really need is to confirm that you get a consistent plate. If you have multiple presses, it can be helpful to have a linear plate to start with so you can then tack on a curve for each press, but if you're only adjusting for one output scenario getting the plate linear is just an extra step without much benefit.

Agreed. We have 9 different presses here that we output for so I am a sticker for it.

Farabomb

I'd have to agree with that. As long as it's consistent then that's all you need.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on May 31, 2016, 08:04:39 AMAgreed. We have 9 different presses here that we output for so I am a sticker for it.

Just not a stickler for spelling? :wink:
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Damn auto correct on the Mac! (That is my story and I'm sticking to it!)

baker7

Quote from: DCurry on May 31, 2016, 07:59:33 AMTechnically, you really don't need to get a linear plate - all you really need is to confirm that you get a consistent plate. If you have multiple presses, it can be helpful to have a linear plate to start with so you can then tack on a curve for each press, but if you're only adjusting for one output scenario getting the plate linear is just an extra step without much benefit.

Looks like I've been just freaking out about linear plate for nothing.  I feel dumb blaming my boss and the color guy.  Well I guess things won't really get better, linear plate or not, than how it is already.  I guess I'll stick around here longer lol.

Joe

Well it is just printing. There is never a good reason to freak out about it.

Farabomb

Yeah, tell the boss that when he's all wound up and see what happens.

But agreed, we're just staining paper, not saving lives.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job