Getting into prepress with binders and stuff

Started by baker7, July 25, 2016, 06:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baker7

As some of you may know I'm in sublimation prepress.  It's probably a lot different than what you guys do as we mainly only work with 28"x40" image prints, no fonts or text.  However, it's a bitch of a job cuz colors have to be an exact duplicate of sample, which can change drastically given certain fabrics and minor heatpress adjustments in time and temp. 

I've been having a hell of a time working here cuz the samples that come in are made with different digital printer curves and we have to match the colors by manipulating the image in photoshop with a digital and offset printers that don't always line up... most of the time it's way off and we have to run the press blind, which means making corrections with new plates.

On top of the stress from nothing working right, my boss decided to tell us we're working part time now with part time pay for the next 3 months.  Well July is almost over and he cut pay by 1/3 yet with the exception of 2 days, we're still working full time hours plus no pay overtime.  WTF.  This is really starting to chap my hide, as I can't even try and supplement my income by getting a part time gig cuz I'm still working full time hours!!! 

So, with one year sublimation prepress under my belt, what would I need to learn to try and land a job doing what you guys all do?  Printing calendars and books and stuff I'm guessing.  I think we use all the same software and CTP machines from what I gather reading some of the posts and the help I got this past year.

Thanks for any responses!

Farabomb

The only place I'd go to would be a packaging plant. Most other printshops have seen a downturn but packaging is still going strong.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on July 26, 2016, 06:31:00 AMThe only place I'd go to would be a packaging plant. Most other printshops have seen a downturn but packaging is still going strong.

And always will. There will always be packages.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

You already have the skills needed to get started. You know how to turn a computer on. You're way ahead of a lot of people that use a computer to make a living.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Plus your using prinergy right? Don't be afraid to apply for jobs you have never done
I think you making things work is a strong point.
I think you can do prepress, doesn't sound like you give up!!

Just_A_Mac_Guy

Biggest lies in this industry are (in no particular order)

Every 15 yr old knows photoshop (don't expect to be paid well)...
Prepress is unneccessary these days....
Production artist are just failed art directors....
Spelling and kerning are automatically fixed at press...

Good Prepess people are fewer and farther between these days (sadly so are opportunities)
Prepress is not about what you know but you ability to adapt the files you get to the needs of the press.
Your ability to learn and adapt is way more important than your current knowledge.

Packaging work is going strong, look into Toy manufactures, etc.... they often have in-house depts to save costs as they change designs often...

baker7

Quote from: Joe on July 26, 2016, 07:33:31 AMYou already have the skills needed to get started. You know how to turn a computer on. You're way ahead of a lot of people that use a computer to make a living.

Lol and it took my 20 years to finally learn how to turn one on.

baker7

Thanks guys for the tip in the right direction.  You guys are awesome.  One of the few forums that's left it seems that's helpful and with cool ppl in it.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I think this is kind of funny.

It's been a long time since I've heard of someone actually wanting to get into Prepress. It's a thankless job with no future and along with the extreme frustration on the job level, most places want you doing IT, web and design, for half the money.

It takes a certain mindset, for sure. Good luck, sir.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

yeah, prepress sucks...

no gratitude, long hours, lack of information, specs you do get are wrong...  I could go on.    :drunk3:  :hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

baker7

Thanks for the warning.. I'll take that too.

Farabomb

It's 100% fact. I no longer get job bags. The advantage is I can't be accused of improper layout or specs because I have no info.

Prepress is the whipping boy of the print shop. Management considers what we do voodoo. Since it involves computers they think it's simple. They think well, I can post on facebook and edit photos on my phone, what they do is simple. If ANYTHING goes wrong, prepress is blamed. Toliet clogged? it's prepress's fault. Power went out, prepress. Boss's wife is cheating on him, prepress.

It's a thankless, shitty, stressful, hateful, low paying job. But it's my job...

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 26, 2016, 01:21:47 PMI think this is kind of funny.

It's been a long time since I've heard of someone actually wanting to get into Prepress. It's a thankless job with no future and along with the extreme frustration on the job level, most places want you doing IT, web and design, for half the money.

I was asked recently by a friend (ex-coworker) who's been in signage for a while what the salary range of prepress is in our area, I guess he's thinking of coming back to it. I honestly told him it's not worth it, and I don't think that's harsh or too negative. He has a growing family, and is too young to get sucked into this pit of despair I believe.

We're going to go out for beers soon, I'm curious why he wants to get back into printing but I'll maintain my original point.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Slappy on July 27, 2016, 01:42:08 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 26, 2016, 01:21:47 PMI think this is kind of funny.

I was asked recently by a friend (ex-coworker) who's been in signage for a while what the salary range of prepress is in our area, I guess he's thinking of coming back to it. I honestly told him it's not worth it, and I don't think that's harsh or too negative. He has a growing family, and is too young to get sucked into this pit of despair I believe.

We're going to go out for beers soon, I'm curious why he wants to get back into printing but I'll maintain my original point.

You did an honorable and noble thing for your friend.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

I couldn't honestly recommend getting into printing to anyone in the foreseeable future. When it crashed instead of shop owners getting together and talking about making the pie bigger they all cut each other's balls off on price. Now we're stuck with a customer thinking that's the price so the margins aren't there anymore. Now most are stuck slowly circling the drain awaiting the inevitable.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job