Clearing Counters on a Epson 9800

Started by Farabomb, May 22, 2015, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I've found some info online but none have gotten me to the "clear counters" part. I'm getting a 0040 error so it's the cleaner pump reaching end of life. I just need to clear it to get some proofs out so I can go home. Figures.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Well all that did was piss though my ink and I still have the error. Looks like I need to get a tech in here and we may also be in the market for a new (used) wide format.

If anyone has one laying around, let me know.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I have this, not sure if it will help...

There are special options used by Epson technicians that a user can also take advantage of in a time of need. Entering into the Service Mode is always something to be careful doing, only address setting you are sure you understand. Doing this can save you an expensive tech visit for something easy to handle.

Things to know and understand:
Each Wide format printer has its own way of entering into the Service mode, do some research online to find what is right for your printer model.
Example: Each printer differs so find the special button configuration that works for you model.
The Epson 4880 you hold down the "Pause" button when you power ON the printer.
The Epson 7900 and 9900 you hold down the "Menu button, Ok button and down arrow button" when you power ON the printer and when the printer display is ready and looks like you are set to print you now click the "Menu" button one time to enter into the "Self Testing" window and options.
Holding just the "Pause" button upon startup on the 7900/9900 takes you into the Maintenance Mode, which has some cleaning options along with other  settings.
You can see there is a lot more to your printer than you deal with each day and knowing at least some of these options may help prevent an expensive Epson tech service call when it could have been avoided.
Among the good feature is the SSCL (Super Strong Cleaning). You may do this if you have a severe clog that regular cleaning will not resolve and just before you call for a service tech to come and clean the printer. Tip, the tech is going to do this first.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Yup, been in there. There are 2 menus that I found a serviceman menu that shows the counters and the selftest. There is an option to clear counters in the selftest and I did but all that did was have me charge the inks, kill one of my maintenance tanks and run me out of inks I didn't have backups for.

And it didn't remove the error either.  >:(

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

you are now a certified service tech!
it's time to take a break!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

mwc

call epson.
last time i had the 040 errors on my 9880, a tech walked me through clearing it....but mentioned when it happens again NOT to use the procedure as I could damage my machine (as parts DO need to be replaced)

My only note on this for the 9880 was :
Maintenance Request 0040 - Cleared "cleaning" param in the  "self-test" mode - down arrow,middle button, right arrow upon power-up.

gig0

FYI, there's also a PC based Epson utility our service techs use on their laptops to change those kind of parameters, but they need to be hard-wired into the printer using either a crossover cable or serial port, I'm not sure. I've tried the (cheat) codes and it didn't work for us. Maybe others, but not us. I did find an Epson utility to change these settings but haven't tried it yet and the source was questionable. If you want to be a guinea pig, I have no problem sharing. ;)
Prinergy Evo <option 8> Colorproof XF <option 8> Epson 7800's (shut up) <option 8> Screen Platerite 4200 & Lotem 400  <option 8> Various Konica & OCE digital printers

Farabomb

gig0, Sure, send it my way and I'll give it a shot. I remember playing with some software during the prinergy install in order to set/find the IP of the epson. It stumped the kodak installer for 2 days so I just googled it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Tech will be here thursday. 1k later we should have a proofer back.

Now I don't trust it at all as I know how epson works. This failed so I have a feeling other parts will be failing soon as well. If I manage to talk the boss into a new one, what one should I go with and should I get one with the spectro on it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Why would they hide SSCL (Super strong cleaning) into the Service mode?
that seems way useful!

gig0

Quote from: Farabomb on May 26, 2015, 06:56:39 AMgig0, Sure, send it my way and I'll give it a shot. I remember playing with some software during the prinergy install in order to set/find the IP of the epson. It stumped the kodak installer for 2 days so I just googled it.

Heres the link: https://app.box.com/s/kqytkk8k8g1tfide7nzz2gxzi4o0zzlr

Apparently, Google shows there are quit a few sites that host the filename sscserve.exe. Again, I can't remember my source but Virus Total comes up with the same results as everyone else (the DNA scan result and user history shows it may just be a false flag). I would still try it out on a laptop thats used as a doorstop, just in case. Just wouldn't connect to the network since all it needs to connect to the Epson is a serial interface or USB.   
Prinergy Evo <option 8> Colorproof XF <option 8> Epson 7800's (shut up) <option 8> Screen Platerite 4200 & Lotem 400  <option 8> Various Konica & OCE digital printers

gig0

Quote from: Farabomb on May 26, 2015, 01:40:18 PMTech will be here thursday. 1k later we should have a proofer back.

Now I don't trust it at all as I know how epson works. This failed so I have a feeling other parts will be failing soon as well. If I manage to talk the boss into a new one, what one should I go with and should I get one with the spectro on it.

whoa! One grand to do maintenance? The maintenance kit & service for our 7800's is under $500 a pop. You guys getting Epson to service this or a third party? That should be routine stuff.

Farabomb

Third party, coming in from NY, part and labor will equal around 1k.

We have 2 local places, one the boss doesn't like, nor do I. The other was an option but this guy was already in the works.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gig0

Just to put things into perspective, the pump cap assembly, cleaner & flushing units usually runs around $250-$300 for each of our 7800's.  The rest is labor and travel. I don't have the time yet to try it out on my own (LOL) but this just might help you and others out there like us; it's a service manual for various Epson printers and includes what the error code means and solution.

https://app.box.com/s/kxeps0ej3axz7m7bsg4xbrw47rjqdkbi

So far, this manual is batting 1000 for the 3 last issues we've had since I found it. Too bad they didn't embed the fonts. :(

DigiCorn

Said this before, but it bears repeating. NEVER hire Decision 1 to repair your Epson. They'll stumble around, break it worse, fuck you in the ass, and then bill you for it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway