CS6: Print Booklet

Started by Joe, June 07, 2013, 01:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Document size is 8.5 x 11 and I need a booklet where it prints a spread to 11 x 17. For a good reason I have to print to a Postscript File and distill to a PDF. So in my print settings I select my priner Postscript® File and for my PPD I use Device Independent.  It looks okay in the Print Booklet Preview but it always comes out with a 2 page pdf that is 8.5 x 11 where page 1 only has P4 and Page 2 only has P2 instead of 4-1 and 2-3.

Paper size is grayed out in the print settings when you set it to Device Independent and Indy should be smart enough ti set it to use 11 x 17 to get two 8.5 x 11 pages on it. That is what "Device Independent" means. and like I said, it looks correct in the Print Booklet preview.

Any ideas?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

i can duplicate what you get here (CS4)

cant seem to spec a sheetsize using device independent ppd, i got the same result

i chose "adobe PDF" as a PPD, chose 11x17 sheet size, and it did create a distillable .ps file that was correct..

not sure if the ppd for "adobe pdf" will mess anything up down the road..

Joe

Running OS X 10.7 and/or 10.8 and Adobe PDF is not an option. That is the problem. The user used to use Adobe PDF on OS X 10.5 but their computer died and I had to give them an OS X 10.7 machine.

Tracy

I'm having the same problem Joe,
that's why I asked about the adobe pdf driver, on a different thread
let me know what you find out!

Tracy

I got it to work but it rotates Icould only do 11x17 not 17x11
in print settings i chose postscript and then I changed the ppd
not sure what ppd I used, if you don't figure it out I will check on monday
It doesn't seem like ppd that I installed, hmmm?
screen shot

Tracy

oopsie
this is what i wanted to attach

Joe

Thanks Tracy. That is what we do here by selecting one of our 11 x 17 HP LaserJets. The problem is that she (person at remote location) only has one printer that she can choose from other than Device Independent and that printer does not have an 11 x 17 paper defined and there is also no "Custom" size option available with her printer. If she chooses that printer and selects the 8.5 x 11 paper it shrinks the pages to fit.

Checking the Adobe forums the Adobe Guru, Dov, tells everyone to never print to postscript and to always use "export". What he fails to realize is that there is no option to export a booklet in his very own product! :death:

Tracy

yeah it's a problem I occasionally Need to do this.
I am forcing my self to learn quite imposing's define bleed etc..